Hip Huggers/Pads/Braces for Dagger Cascade

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

pblanc
CBoats Addict

Hip Huggers/Pads/Braces for Dagger Cascade

Post by pblanc »

I have done a couple of searches but have come up short. Somewhere, I saw some pcitures of C-1 hip braces that had been fashioned from plastic cutting board and bolted to the underside of the deck lateral to the cockpit coaming.

Does anyone have any photos or advice on how best to shape and mount braces like this?
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

I cut them to width and at full length, drilled the holes and bolted the board in, then heated it up next to the boat with a hot-air gun, bent to shape, cooled it with water and cut the top flush to the cockpit rim.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I use a propane torch, but NOT IN THE BOAT :lol:
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Hip pad brackets

Post by Mikey B »

Pete,
I have plenty of ABS in 1/16"-3/8" thicknesses here at work. I have used 1/4" bent to shape with minicell glued with good success. Just figure a spot to bolt them on. If you know the size or approx. size you want, I'd be happy to fashion a set for you...and either send them to you or give them to you next time I see you.
Mike
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Here are some pics of a Forplay I did: http://cboats.net/c_db/list.php?type=5& ... me=Forplay

Cut them oversized. Clamp where you want the bend between two things that are more dense (thick aluminum channel). Heat w/ a propane torch (this will take a while). Try not to heat it so much that the plastic goes clear. I'm not sure what's going on at the molecular level, but this tends to make the plastic more brittle. Once you get it bent, set a brick on it till it cools. Then you can put it in the boat to mark the bolt holes.

Round off all of the edges (ROS works well). If you cut your foam wider & taller than the plastic & round off those edges it will be easier on your skirt.
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

I use fencerail for hip huggers on my conversions and have never had to heat them to shape them.

Take a square fence rail 4X4" or otherwise, cut it down so you get some L shaped pieces about the size you need. I use an electric band saw type thing. Drill it to attach to where the kayak seat should attach (also where I attach my straps)... Bolt it on, add some foam, duct tape over everything to prevent ripping your skirt, done.
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

I've done it the way Mike W. describes it, but I want to point out that with the Cascade, you only have the one existing bolt hole of the thigh strap. I added a bolt hole to my Atom in addition to using the thigh strap bolt hole for a more secure fit. Do smooth all edges and do apply minicell to both sides of the hip huggers to protect your skirt.

KNeal
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
RobertM
Pain Boater

Post by RobertM »

Might these be the pictures you were thinking of?

http://pierskalla.com/gallery/Atom-Hip-Pads
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

This weekend I got flipped in the Cascade and went to set up for a roll and simply fell out of the boat. Not fun. I guess hip huggers would have probably helped, along with cinching down the thigh straps tighter than I had them... I'll be making some this week, so thanks for all the input and pics, that will help a ton!