liquid logic remix 79

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

coloradopaddler
C Guru

liquid logic remix 79

Post by coloradopaddler »

so i've got my remix 79 torn apart and ready to put my dagger pedestal in. all of a sudden it dawned on me that the boat is sitting higher in the bow than the stern. the boat has assymetrical rocker, something i've never encountered, even with other kayak conversions. i could use some help with trimming it out. should i place the pedestal so it sits in the water the way it is sitting on my garage floor? the website says it has four more inches of rocker in the bow. my local boat shop told me to trim it out that way or slightly forward. are there any words of experience out there?
thanks,
jim
CosmikDebris
CBoats Addict

Post by CosmikDebris »

I'm about 160, 5'9", and have my seat back roughly 7" from the back of the cockpit rim. That said, my outfitting sucks and my seat has a lot of play in it. My seatback is really small too, so sometimes I slide a little further back. I'd say that's a good starting point though.
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

Love it; high bow stays over features and lower stern gives a lot of speed in a neutral paddling position. Paddling forward the boat spins on a dime and carves well enough.

Yes it has to be higher bow on water a bit... Also depends on personnal perf... Always good to tuck tape it for a first try I would say. 8)
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
coloradopaddler
C Guru

thanks

thanks guys,
i think i'll duct tape it in and paddle some flats with it tomorrow. then i can move it around and see how it rides. it just kind of threw me off when i started thinking about saddle placement. i'll leave the bow high either way.
Bruce Farrenkopf
CBoats Addict

Post by Bruce Farrenkopf »

Please give us a review on the Remix 79 when you get it on the water a few times. I am thinking of getting the boat.

Thanks.

SYOTR,
Bruce
coloradopaddler
C Guru

update on the remix 79

I was able to get my boat into a local pool today to try different saddle placements. I ended up with the boat sitting very much like it sits on the floor. the bow is a little higher than the stern. I haven't tried to add a link here so let me know if it doesn't work. having the saddle in this spot created the best glide out of the hull. i was really surprised to feel edges while in the water. when i first got the boat i was a little worried about the rounded nature of the bottom. although there weren't any thigh straps and the saddle wasn't attached at all i was able to carve the boat. it did slip a little when getting started but seemed to track well once i got a little speed. if linking to mountainbuzz works i can take some more pictures as i go.
http://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/memb ... ms162.html
Bruce Farrenkopf
CBoats Addict

Can you get your knees nice and wide in the boat?
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

i'm 185 to 195 and had mine seat back 7.5 to 8 inches forward. boat is 27" wide, and if you put thicker pads under knees you can get them quite wide. i really like the remix. it goes over hydraulics well, stays on top of squirly water and boofs great. it is so easy to paddle that i found myself getting lazy in it. it makes a great c1, but i decided i enjoy a creek boat with more edge.
coloradopaddler
C Guru

I'm putting in a dagger pedestal, just for reference, and it came to me with one inch knee pads. I've duct taped another one inch on the inside edge of those knee pads. i want to make sure that i don't need the forward most thigh strap attachments before i glue them in, the knee spreaders that is. anyway, i could easily go farther than that if i needed to. i'm really surprised how stable the boat feels with that configuration. i can't wait to get it on moving water. i was hoping for a new year's day run, but it won't be ready and it is dumping snow here now. i do like snowboarding all day and coming home to work on my boat though!
cadster
CBoats Addict

Post by cadster »

Reports have the Ark as iced over, but if Taos gets into the 50’s, I’d be up for a Racecourse run.

We could compare outfitting. I added an attachment point closer to my crotch than the two provided and use that for a thigh strap anchor.
Bruce Farrenkopf
CBoats Addict

Coloradopaddler,
That Mountainbuzz link worked. The Remix 79 doesn't look big in the picture. What is your weight and height?
SYOTR,
Bruce
coloradopaddler
C Guru

the boat looks big sitting in my garage but when i get in it it seems pretty short. i am 6'1" and weigh 170 pounds. after attaching the front of the saddle to the existing kayak bolt holes i think all i need to do is extend the back pillar just to keep the rear of the saddle down. it seems pretty solid with just the two bolts up front.
coloradopaddler
C Guru

outfitting pics

i've uploaded a few more pictures of my boat today. they show the saddle and thigh strap attachments. i moved the thigh straps to the forward most position and added another inch of foam on the inside of my knees. here's the link: http://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/memb ... ms162.html
cadster
CBoats Addict

Post by cadster »

I don’t have the extra shims on the inside of my knees, but block off the outside of my knees with foam.

I wouldn’t think the extra space between your knees would add much stability.

What happens to the outside of your knees when you roll?
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

does that boat look just a little bow heavy to anyone else?
Larry