Installing drain plug on Dagger Cascade

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

ZethZ
c

Installing drain plug on Dagger Cascade

Post by ZethZ »

I bought a drain plug kit for my Dagger Cascade which apparently is old enough that Dagger at that time didn't include one.I would like to install it as far back on the stern as possible.Would anybody know what the distance from tip of stern to center of plug should be?Maybe pictures or specs from an original Cascade that has the drain plug would be helpful.Thanxz in advance.
Jim Michaud
CBoats Addict

Post by Jim Michaud »

The center of the drain plug on my Cascade is 3½" from the end and set to the left side so that it can drain while I carry the boat on my right shoulder.

Jim
ZethZ
c

Drain plug for Cascade

Post by ZethZ »

Thanxz Jim for the specs and the positioning for drainage while carrying.
Louie

Post by Louie »

Drain plug are all well and good but if you are on a run with friends, particulary if it is cold or you are doin a long run don't pull over and start drainin the boat with the drain plug while everyone is freezin and it is gettin dark. Unless you are goin to be takin a safety break or sumthin anyway that is goin to take time. Use the larger drain hole you just unpluged when you crawed out of the boat. We have left many a butt boater who said hey just a minute I have to drain my boat and then instead of takin a minute and a half to rock the boat both way while restin on his knees to drain it has proped it up again a rock and started undoin the drain plug for the six minute drain time. When with ginuine wonder you hear them yellin" hey why are you leavin"?

Of course if you are a hot chica or you have the camera, take your time we will wait.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

How bad do you need one in a Cascade? The cockpit / hull shape isn't one that is particularly bad for trapping water. If you have flotation in it, it shouldn't ever be so full that it's too heavy to roll over. Why drill another hole in a perfectly good boat adding another part to possibly malfunction or lose...
ZethZ
c

drain plug

Post by ZethZ »

sbroum>point well taken.It might be a bit premature thought but wanted to work on developing a roll over the Winter in a pool and felt a plug would assist in a speedier dump of water.The couple of times last season that I tried working on a roll in the river it was a bitch even with full flotation to unload the boat.
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Post by jscottl67 »

Louie and Scott are right about it being quicker and easier to dump through the big opening, but it is nice to have that drain plug to get the last bit out at the end of the day. Even if there's not much in there, it sucks the 2nd day of paddling when it's colder to have that sheet of ice in the boat ;)
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

well, if you insist one one there is one additional use - leave a little in the boat til you get to the parking lot and use that little bit to rinse the mud off your shoes.
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

don't listen to louie. I'm sure a decked boater has waited for him to dump a time or two.
drain plugs are great, use it as intended.
yeah, if you got a boat full from a swim, dump it out the cockpit, but otherwise, the little bit that gets in there from normal use comes out quick and easiest from the END of the boat!
Larry
Jim Michaud
CBoats Addict

Post by Jim Michaud »

The Cascade is already too dam heavy. I'll be darn if I want to carry the boat with ANY water in it.

Jim
Louie

Post by Louie »

WHAT IS NORMAL USE? You bet but you don't know. Ya don't listen to me listen to the Cali boy, his neck of the woods is know for the great single stickers they have out like ...... well anyway, ya don't listen to me.

Ya between the drain plug and havin trouble gettin you kilt back on the boat we'll see you at the take out.
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

:roll:
Larry