Shortening a Werner Bandit paddle

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Wndwalkr
C Boater

Post by Wndwalkr »

I have the fiberglass version and was wondering if it is possible to shorten it by 2"? It seems pretty simple, cut the grip off, remove the old shaft from around the grip and re-insert?

How long is the stub on the grip? If I cut 2" will I get into that?

Any reccomendations on what brand epoxy to use to reset the grip?

Thanks, Mike
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Just give it a little time. Those paddles seem to shorten themselves from the blade end :-?
driftwood
C Guru

Post by driftwood »

I have done this to my bandit. The hardest part would be removing the shaft from around the T-grip, this is easier said than done. What I did was make my own grip, not real hard and I think the one it comes with stinks any way.

As for epoxy get some marine grade stuff, west systems for example. I didn't have any at the time and used the stuff from the hardware store and had to re-do it after some hard use.

wood
Will dance for rain
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

Give Werner a shout and ask them.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Use the search function of this website and you can read up on this until your heart's content.

Try searching all terms for various things like "shorten paddle", "cut shaft t-grip", "pipe cutter", and whatever you can think of...

PY.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

johnrsweet.com offers the new G-flex epoxy in 4 oz bottles for about $16. It mixes 1:1, is not fussy about ratio, and has great adhesion. Not the only thing you might use, but nice to have around for other jobs.
bambam
C Guru

Post by bambam »

driftwood wrote:...The hardest part would be removing the shaft from around the T-grip, this is easier said than done...
I used a cutting wheel in a dremel tool to cut some slits lengthwise and was able to peel the shaft from the t-grip fairly easily.

Ken Dubel