Bulkhead outfitting question

New to CBoating? Look here for loaner boats, demo boats, free boats, instruction, and other folks in your area to help you out. Do NOT post questions here - those should be posted in the main CForum.

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

dsmoake
C Boater

Bulkhead outfitting question

Post by dsmoake »

I have a Maxim with bulkhead outfitting and with even with the foot pegs all the way back, I have a hard time getting my feet on them to secure myself in the boat (I am 6'). I just got a drysuit which adds another layer and slightly increasing my shoe size making it even harder to squeeze in (and there is no way to get my toes under the pegs which I find more comfortable). So my question is by carving a few inches out of the foam blocks greatly change my center of gravity in the boat? It will move my body slightly forward and will that cause any issues? Thanks,
Dave
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Re: Bulkhead outfitting question

Post by TNbound »

If you feel like the trim of the boat is good, I would try moving the foot braces back before you sanded/cut out the knee pockets. The Maxim is a pretty short little boat so moving forward a little could have a pretty drastic impact on how it handles.

As far as the process of moving the foot braces back, it depends on how they are attached. If you find yourself running out of saddle to attach the aft end to, you can always add another bit of foam to the back of the saddle.
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

If you cannot push your knees into the bulkhead, you are probably too far back. You will probably need to cut the knee holes out some. But, as TNbound said, you should check the trim of the boat first. Have a friend look at you in clam, flat water and tell you if the stern is riding lower than the bow.

Shep
iRolled
BlackFly Canoes

Post by iRolled »

You can also raise the foot pegs. It's pretty easy. You might even be able to do it without pulling out the saddle. I paddle with my feet under the pegs and i think I have them raised to about 2" inches in my old maxim. you could also move them back while your at it. up one inch and back three. Just my suggestion. Hope you get it dialed in.
Team Blackfly
http://www.blackflycanoes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.astraldesigns.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.immersionresearch.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

If the trim is good as it is, you can also trim the back of the saddle down a little. Whatever you do, do it slowly.