Spanish Fly characteristics...

New to CBoating? Look here for loaner boats, demo boats, free boats, instruction, and other folks in your area to help you out. Do NOT post questions here - those should be posted in the main CForum.

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Fleeter
c

Spanish Fly characteristics...

Post by Fleeter »

I have been paddling a larger solo boat in my first season of open boat paddling. I am planning on keeping this boat but am going to purchase an Esquif Spanish Fly. I am new on the site and thought I would get some ideas to what I should expect when I first attempt to paddle this canoe? I have heard great things but it's always nice to get many experienced opinions!

Thanks in advanced for any information...
philcanoe
C Maven

Re: Spanish Fly characteristics...

Post by philcanoe »

Which boats have you tied, and which one are you currently in?
    ^~^~^ different strokes ~ for different folks ^~^~^
    Fleeter
    c

Post by Fleeter »

I am currently paddling a Dagger Genesis, and I have paddled an Esquif Zephyr. Both were/are nice to paddle the Spanish Fly is more the fact that it's going to be convenient to buy, these types of boats don't come up for sale in my area very often so I thought I would take advantage of the sale. Also the river I most frequent in my area I would say is more like a large creek and most of the features are to small for my big Genesis.
    Wendy
    Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

If I had to give one very important tip for any short boat it would be:
    When taking a stroke stop at your hip so you won't just spin, and spin.
    The SF is so much fun in any type of water- ad a pump and go anywhere.
    Fleeter
    c

Post by Fleeter »

Looks like I will find out soon as I now own "The Fly" and am just making some adjustments before I take it on it's maiden voyage!!!
    Cheeks
    CBoats Addict

Post by Cheeks »

Where are you from? What rivers will you be taking da Fly down?
    Chris Loomis
    Fleeter
    c

Post by Fleeter »

I have paddled the Fly a couple of times now and find it to be ... awesome! I still need to get used to it but I find it to be stable, highly maneuverable and very wet! I really like it and think it was a good move in purchasing it... I live in Kitchener Ontario and I frequent a local river we call the Elora Gorge, It's not as wild as some of things I have watched on here but it's a lot of fun for me and good place to practice before going to a more technical river.
    Wendy
    Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

I made a minicell deck for mine to use in colder weather. Made one for the bow and stern, but just used the bow one. 2 inch minicell tucks between rim and lacing. Cut a grove on edge so it stayed in tight then used one strap to hold it one in hydraulics.
    TNbound
    CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

I have a Genesis as well. Well, my dad does and I paddle it sometimes. But I think the first thing you'll notice about the spanishfly is it is easier to turn and harder to go in a straight line. Like Wendy said, control of your stroke length is paramount.

However, the benefits/fun factor for a boat like a spanishfly will be through to roof. Any short boat has the potential to take your paddling to the next level. You may have a little bit of frustration on the way, but that is what learning is about!
    -Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."