XL newbie boat?

New to CBoating? Look here for loaner boats, demo boats, free boats, instruction, and other folks in your area to help you out. Do NOT post questions here - those should be posted in the main CForum.

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Deadwood
c

XL newbie boat?

Post by Deadwood »

Hello all,

I've been down the Ocoee a couple times in a ducky (duckie?) and I'm hooked. The guys I run with are all kayakers but I'm pretty dead-set on going OC. I grew up paddling flatwater and rowed stroke seat (Pair) on our University Men's Crew...but WW is a different world.

Read up a ton of info on different hull designs but the catch is that I'm 6'2" 240lbs. I fear that some boats that others find "responsive" may turn out to be just plain "ill-tempered" with me in it.

Currently looking at a Probe (12 or 13), Outrage X, Prodigy X.

Any and all suggestions would be very much appreciated. I don't expect to be able to test too many, if any, boats, and I don't really know if my "evaluations" would be any good since I'm such a rank beginner.

Yes, I expect to swim...it sucks...but it's a strange sort of thrill at the same time.
Danny
C Boater

Post by Danny »

I gotta put in a pitch for the Esquif Ledge. I'm 6'4" , 220, and I love this boat. On a good day I'm an advanced beginner and this boat is great. You'll see many posts on this site endorsing the boat for the bigger paddler. Interesting design in that it is outstanding for guys like us and some of the best paddlers in the country love it too !! Rotomoulded plastic slides over the "occasional" rock that appears in my way. Stable, forgiving, blasts over waves and holes. Fun !!
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

L'Edge! :)
Deadwood
c

Post by Deadwood »

Smurfwarrior,
Be honest; nothing made you happier than seeing Danny's L'Edge recommendation did it?

The L'Edge has made it on the list.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

I paid him to write that. :) ahhaha., Just kidding. Well, I knew you would find others who would recommend the L'Edge for you if you came here, thats why I suggested it. No better place on the net for finding input on stuff canoe related.

Do try out a few though before you buy. Some boats just click with people and some don't.
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

I am in the 230 range and have paddled (poorly, not the boats fault) a L'edge and it felt really nice, no problem with the paddler weight whatsoever.
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.