Rolling a whitewater canoe

New to CBoating? Look here for loaner boats, demo boats, free boats, instruction, and other folks in your area to help you out. Do NOT post questions here - those should be posted in the main CForum.

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

pfunked07
c

Rolling a whitewater canoe

Post by pfunked07 »

Just starting into whitewater canoeing and figured i should learn to role first. I can roll my mohawk probe 12 up but there is a pretty good amount of water in my boat when i do.

Is the probe 12 just designed this way?

more likely answer
Is there something wrong with my technique?

Realize my technique isn't perfect but i have rolled it up quickly and there is still a good amount of water in my boat. I have tweaked my air bags stuffing them all the way into the ends of my boat as well as tying them back towards the bow/stern.

thank you
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

It's hard to know for sure without pictures, but I think this is a case of "That's just the way it is..." Different boats come up with different amounts of water based on: Decked or not, width at the gunwales, amount of tumblehome (how much the boat comes in from the widest point of the hull to the gunwales), and outfitting.

In my Taureau, I come up with the water up to, or just below, my ankles. In a bigger boat, it's often about the same, but that is a huge difference in the actual weight of the water in the boat.

Hope this helps,
Shep[/list]