How to pick a paddle?

New to CBoating? Look here for loaner boats, demo boats, free boats, instruction, and other folks in your area to help you out. Do NOT post questions here - those should be posted in the main CForum.

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

NewDirection

How to pick a paddle?

Post by NewDirection »

I've been boating for about 2 years and call the rapids of Richmond VA my home. I've been using cheap 30 dollar paddles and have heard from numerous sources that I should invest in a better paddle.

I was just wondering how one picks a paddle? The lower James is mostly big water (for the most part) but not too big and I am 6'1'' and 175 pounds and paddle a Mohawk 12 II.

Any help is greatly appreciated and any recommendations is appreciated as well. Thanks and happy paddling!
adamin
CBoats.net Staff

Post by adamin »

Feel free to cross-post this in the main forum. You may also want to:
1) Check out the "Paddles" header at the top of the screen
2) PM "KNeal" - he also lives in Richmond, and can give you some great points (and may even have some paddles you can check out - I do not know what his current collection looks like).

A good paddle will last you a long, long, long time if cared for. I personally like carbon fiber, because it is light. Others like glass, or better yet wood, for a little flex (easier on the joints). Definitely heavier though:) . I would also recommend you check out the paddle manufacturers on the "Paddling Links" site.

I'll also point out that if you want a beautiful, well built paddle you should seriously consider supporting one of our sponsors (see ads at top) - Echo Paddles (the ads rotate through, if you haven't noticed already, so you may need to keep hitting "refresh").
NewDirection

Post by NewDirection »

Thanks! Yeah, to tell you the truth... i had already been looking at an echo paddle. Thanks again!
dwd58
Pain Boater

Post by dwd58 »

New direction- I sent you a PM- check you box