SPRAY SKIRTS

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Courtyb123

SPRAY SKIRTS

Post by Courtyb123 »

Hello!
It seems very tough to find spray skirts for C1 boats. Asking for advice on where to look? Should I contact companies and ask for custom?

Specifically looking for:
c1- Dagger Atom
c1 conversion Bliss-stick Scud
Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

Re: SPRAY SKIRTS

Post by Kelly-Rand »

Snap Dragon is the only manufacturer I know of for skirts. The Atom is a standard size in their line of skirts. You will have to purchase through a local retailer though as they stopped selling direct a few years ago. The Bliss-Stick should also be a standard available size. Browse to their sight and see what they have.
Jim KR

"with single blade in hand
a C-1 I will stand"
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

poetry_heckler
Pain Boater

Post by poetry_heckler »

Off-the-shelf kayak sprayskirts will usually pose a problem for C1 conversions, as the tunnel is positioned too far back and is also shorter than preferred.

A custom job is called for. You can make your own, of course: http://www.wwslalom.net/skirt/index.htm

Or some makers, I think snapdragon used to do this, will make you a custom skirt based on tracings of your cockpit rim and an indication of where your pedestal is located.

And I have seen a few jury-rigged (jerry-built?) C1 skirts adapted from kayak skirts. Not pretty, but with enough stitching and AquaSeal, you can keep dry, even while upside down.
ASPIRIN SANDWICH
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

Besides doing my own skirts, I've used Snapdragon for my race boat. I sent them a paper template of the cockpit. Very high quality and worth the money.
Bob P
jfkoeppe
C Boater

Post by jfkoeppe »

Sadly, I am fairly sure that SnapDragon is out of business. There website still comes up, but I've heard from several sources that as of earlier this spring they went out of business. Too bad, because they did make very nice C1 spray skirts.
Adleedy

Post by Adleedy »

Immersion research will change any of their skirts to a c1, they also list the atom as a standard medium in their sizing.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Harmony, Mountain Surf, Skirt Works, Snap Dragon. Apparently I own relics of another time!

At least Seals is still around (my first skirt, though I don't have it anymore... sold it in the early 90's with the boat).

I guess everyone Pak Rafts, open boats and SUPs now.

I'd go with IR as they are great folks. Looks like NRS has their own branded skirts too; not sure if they will work with a template though.

Is JAG still around? I didn't have great luck with their fit.
Keep the C!
Adam
McPherson
C Boater

Post by McPherson »

Wondering if you found a solution to the Atom skirt?
I need one as well.

I’ve been using an old medium deck kayak skirt. But, it has a large wrinkle in the front when on the Atom’s cockpit… and leaks… a lot. Round skirt on a square hole. Would not recommend going with a standard kayak skirt for a long term solution.
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Check with John Mason on facebook. He is in the final stages of reopening Mountain Surf, his new shop is just about finished. He should be able tpo set you up soon.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
River Elf C1s
Pain Boater

Post by River Elf C1s »

Hey all, I just wanted to add to this thread in the event you haven't yet seen the "River Elf C-1 Spray Skirts" thread that's currently on the forum. We are finally starting to take initial orders for C-1 skirts but may still need to work with some of you to dial in the fit for certain cockpits depending on what you need. Check out the link to the C1 skirts page on our website: http://www.riverelf.com/c1skirt.html for more info or send us an email to: info@riverelf.com if you have any questions. Thanks!
Chris
River Elf
http://www.riverelf.com