NEW GUY, IS THIS BAD, REPAIRABLE, OR JUST GO WITH IT???

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

babyironhead
c

NEW GUY, IS THIS BAD, REPAIRABLE, OR JUST GO WITH IT???

Post by babyironhead »

I just picked up a 16' red canoe, I believe it to be a Mohawk, polymer. I got it for $200, hopefully I didn't over spend. Anyways, I'm familiar with aluminum and fiberglass canoes... This polymer/plastic thing is new to me. My questions are:
1. I found some small damage on the outer surface. It looks as if the outer layer is gone on afew small spots. Should I worry about this or just let it go. (1st pic)

2. I found some wrinkles in the canoe, as like it had been stored on it's end, or incorrectly... Will this affect the boat? If so, can it be fixed, or too late? (Second pic)

3. Is this the correct way to store my boat? (3rd pic)

Thanks!! P.S., here's a pic of the serial number, maybe someone can verify if it is in fact a Mohawk.
babyironhead
c

Re: NEW GUY, IS THIS BAD, REPAIRABLE, OR JUST GO WITH IT???

Post by babyironhead »

First Pic...
Attachments
IMAG3525_1_1_1.jpg
babyironhead
c

Post by babyironhead »

Second pic...
Attachments
IMAG3524_1_1_1_1_1.jpg
babyironhead
c

Post by babyironhead »

Pic 3... (Same on both sides, won't let me upload whole pic!!)
Attachments
IMAG3523_2_1.jpg
babyironhead
c

Post by babyironhead »

Will not let me post serial number pic... Here's the serial number...
MMN89530A393

Thanks!!
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

when i get to the shop in the mornimg i will send you all the info we have on this boat. This boat was made before my time at Mohawk but I can pretty much say the wrinkles, and pock marks in this hull comes from having to reform the sheet of RX. Nothing to worry about the pock marks can be covered with epoxy if you like. I would find some red paint (cheaper the better, colors match better) and paint it and use the heck out of it.
:wink:
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
babyironhead
c

Post by babyironhead »

Awesome!! Thanks!!
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

Boat was made in 1993 and it is called the Whitewater it was sold as a factory second. This is all the info we have on this boat.
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
Einar
CBoats Addict

Post by Einar »

It's about you, not the canoe.

Given that you are new guy you are about to enter the "wrecking while learning" curve.

In my experience it has three stages:
-new guy: likely to wreck/pin/ broach/slice, can't help it.
-intermediate guy: revelling in your new found control, low damage environment, babying your hull. Bad.
-crazy guy: going thru hulls like beer, looking for the elusive, ever receding edge of the curve. Buying new hulls & paddling with kayakers.

So, for $200, +paint, you are on the water. Go for it, enjoy.
e
Paddling is easy, organizing shuttles is hard.
Not misplacing all your crap in somebody else's car seems to be even harder
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

The red outer layer is vinyl and the teal inner layer is ABS plastic. The vinyl is there to protect the ABS layer from UV light. I generally clean any exposed spots like that with 99% rubbing alcohol, let dry, and then cover with a splotch of clear G/flex epoxy. You can also cover with the gray cheaper J&B Weld epoxy.

If you want to repaint, Krylon Fusion spray paint is designed for painting plastic. Repainting isn't necessary though.

Seems to me you got a good deal on a intro boat. Best thing to do is get out a lot and use it.
babyironhead
c

Post by babyironhead »

Thanks to everyone for the info! I'm glad to know at least what I have. I've been on the water all of my life, but this is my first "owned" canoe. I grew up camping, Boy Scouting, rowing, sailing, waterskiing, snorkelling, etc, all over. The springs and spring runs are still my favorite. We have the ocean, rivers, and lakes, but the springs are where my heart is. I love in Daytona, but we are only 30 miles to the Ocala National Forest.
I've had my fair share of tips, head on collisions, bottoming out on hidden shoals, spun around, etc...
I'm used to fiberglass (my father owned one for years, it was a tan colored Mohawk) and aluminum Grumman's.
My first experience with a polymer was on the Chipola River. It was a dark green color, probably 12', not very stable...
I think I'm just gonna do the JB Weld to seal up the vinyl and go with it. Thanks, again, guys!