Minimum backrest thickness?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

lanky189
C Boater

Minimum backrest thickness?

Post by lanky189 »

Working the foam in my Octane 91, nearly settled onto the saddle by working the thigh hooks out. Don't want to go much further forward as my knee caps are currently peeking over the front edge of the knee pads. I'll try to include a picture, but what is the minimum thickness you would suggest on the backrest where the front most rear thwart is?
I'm 6'4 280lbs.

Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Re: Minimum backrest thickness?

Post by Wendy »

I would take it to the water and use a level or have someone take a picture to see how you are currently trimmed. This will help you know which way to further carve.
The 91 is so stable another option is to raise the saddle 1/2 to 1 inch which will change your thigh angle effectively pulling the knees back.
lanky189
C Boater

Post by lanky189 »

^This maybe my initial setup. Talked with another long legged paddler and his knees hang just over the pads but he is taller than I. I will have to remove some of the backrest for dry gear thickness.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

I'd move the thwart back a bit.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

What Wendy said..... take to water and float test it. Have someone eye it up for you and then apply some minor changes to get the feel for where you want to be.

Note: You'll what to change it again since I never get it right the first time. :-)

Good Luck!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

You can always add more foam to expend the knee pads.

It's better to have the trim you like (and fix the outfitting) than make the outfitting work but end up with a bow light, or stern heavy boat (etc.).

Make sense?
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lanky189
C Boater

Post by lanky189 »

This all makes sense. Thanks everyone. First paddle trip tomorrow. We'll see how the trim goes. Not sure how I could move the thwart without also moving the tabs they are bolted to