Loose Dagger factory outfitting

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

JFC
C Boater

Loose Dagger factory outfitting

Post by JFC »

I picked up a Redline with factory outfitting. The minicell blocks in the bow and stern are loose, as is the back part of the pedestal. A few quick questions:

1) It's being held in and held in place by the screws. I need to glue the blocks back in with Weldwood red can, right?

2)The blocks no longer fit tightly. Should I press the hull together, or add foam shims?

3)Should I glue in the back of the pedestal, or is it ok to let it float attached to the foam?

Thanks
GSG
Pain Boater

Re: Loose Dagger factory outfitting

Post by GSG »

If it'll float away when you inevitably swim it needs to be glued down. Otherwise it's fine.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

It may be hard to paint and stick contact cement in those places. 3M offers some sealant/adhesives that may help.

And I think you will need to shim in spots.
GSG
Pain Boater

Post by GSG »

Pictures would be helpful too. I *THINK* my redline has the factory outfitting, but I've never actually confirmed that. Would be nice to compare.
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

Not real clear what you mean.
By "foam blocks" do you mean the front and rear pillars? Those are not supposed to be glued.
By "factory outfitting" do you mean a plastic pedestal? That only needs to be bolted to the sides of the hull in the front. The back is fit into the rear pillar, but can float sideways a little bit. Use hip pads to keep yourself centered and the pedestal will stay under you.
Larry
JFC
C Boater

Post by JFC »

Larry, you have it right. The blocks are the pillars; I just couldn't think of the word when I posted. It just seemed strange that the whole outfitting was held in at the front. I'm a little big for the boat, so the rim is acting as the hipblocks, at least for now.

GSG, I'll get the pictures.