Caption outfitting -- measurements

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Caption outfitting -- measurements

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

Hey Caption owners -- I'd be grateful for info about saddle placement:

Measured from centerline (cross-boat), to, say, the back-rests of the saddles, and assuming partners of equal weight, please 'n thanks!

Also -- what's the best trim for the Caption -- neutral and level? bow-light? stern light? (assuming neutral paddler position), please 'n thanks!

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
ezwater
C Maven

Re: Caption outfitting -- measurements

Post by ezwater »

Don't have a Caption, but aren't they symmetrical? My preference in that case would be to trim just a tiny speck bow light, and when you're hammering, you may tend to lean forward a bit, so the bow will bite enough to assist cab forward paddling.
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Two words Rick: adjustable outfitting.
Wodza
C Guru

Post by Wodza »

I found this somewhere in the depths of Cboats while I was outfitting my Caption. I haven't been able to try it out yet because of a shoulder dislocation but it looks right. It was the only actual measurement I was able to find on Cboats.

Here is the link to the thread I referenced. The last post in the thread is the one I referenced:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7960803" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ice-breaker
Pain Boater

Post by ice-breaker »

Maybe something like that pictured in this thread for adjustable outfitting.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7963943
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

Thanks, folks, for the input.

Pat and Icebreaker -- yes, I'm considering at least one adjustable saddle, as I don't have a regular partner for tandem runs. And, yes, I've seen the NorthWater design, and may use their anchors, though I may do my own foam-work.

Wodza -- thanks for the lead to the previous thread. Brewbeer has provided some measurements, and I will likely use them as a rough starting point.

I have the factory measurements for the Vertige-X, but the hull shape is not the same. Again, a starting point, and YES I will stick the boat on the water, and do some observations/measurements before I finalize the configuration.

ezwater -- actually, the Caption is not symmetrical -- it's slightly fish-form, and viewed in a strong light, it looks like the bow rocker is a little more aggressive (though measuring the same as the stern, in total.) I suspect that will give the boat a natural bows-up tilt, even if the saddles are equi-distant from the ends. I may play a little with the thwart-length, also, to see what it does to the final product.

Keep the ideas coming! Thanks in anticipation! :D

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
valhallalongboats
C Guru

Post by valhallalongboats »

For adjustable outfitting....

I'd call We-no-nah and talk to them about the system they have put in the Recon. The Recon is solo, but their adjustable system is the best I've ever seen. Its easy to move EVERYTHING around in that boat, and it would not be that hard to simply install two of their adjustable systems in a Caption for tandem use. I was able to adjust the Recon around while sitting in it...so its a pretty easy system. Might be a tad abusive to your wallet to buy a bow and stern system though.

-Rob
Canoeing isn't a sport...its an art. Unfortunately, I am not exactly Michelangelo.