Mohawk XL-12 Information?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

BoatApe

Mohawk XL-12 Information?

Post by BoatApe »

Does anyone have any scoop on the old Mohawk XL-12 model? Like max paddler size, handling characteristics? I haven't been able to find much on it out in the etherworld.

Thanks.
Silent Bob
C Guru

Re: Mohawk XL-12 Information?

Post by Silent Bob »

My first boat was an XL-12 (circa 1992). It's somewhat "old school"- wide, round, and not much rocker, so it is not that quick to turn. That said, it's not a bad boat and much less barge-like than the similar 13-14 foot boats that were around at the time. I was about 160# at the time, I found it a lot easier to handle than the XL13. It was a decent river runner, just not that playful.

Here I am, about to get trashed- Lower Keeney, New River Gorge 1993. It did roll pretty easy though :P
xl keeney.jpg
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

Silent Bob wrote:It's somewhat "old school" . . .
Yes, but we're talking vintage '80s here.

A buddy had both an XL-12 and an XL-13, and I got to try both. The 13 was a fine boat -- solid, stable, and dependable for its time. It became his go-to boat for many years.

The 12 was a spawn of the devil -- absolutely no stability, primary or secondary. It even rolled over when we made a planter of it in the garden.

IMHO :wink:

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
OC1_PDLR
c

Post by OC1_PDLR »

That was my first ww boat, but I didn't have it long. I never felt comfortable in the boat. Primary/secondary stability for me wasn't good. I never felt I could relax in the boat. I was probably too heavy for it - 200 -210 lbs.
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Thanks for the question & comments. Everyday I drive by an XL-12 that's growing moss in a neighbour's yard, and I was wondering whether it would make a good parent-child tandem, but I think I'll pass.

Pat.
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

We did not get the mold for it, we had the plug and it is the only plug of the og designs that we killed. I did not like the design like others said it was a very unstable boat even being so wide.
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Hi, boatape. What is your interest in the boat? It is an old design and there are many other "better" boats available, used as well as new.
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

yarnellboat wrote: . . . I was wondering whether it would make a good parent-child tandem . . .
Not to hijack the thread (much), but I've been having a lot of fun lately with a recently-converted-to-tandem Whitesell Piranha (made by Clipper). Stable, but lively. I think it would make a great parent/kid tandem. Yours to borrow and try out.

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
BoatApe

Post by BoatApe »

Thanks for all replies. As for my interest, I have been paddling inflatable SOARs (16' and 12') for a number of years, and while they are great fun, I thought I would look for something a little more 'pure' to paddle. I also organize annual trips and thought if I could pick up a hard-shell ww canoe then I could loan the SOAR to any newbies on the trips, as it is very forgiving. Plus I still prefer canoes to kayaks. I found an XL-12 but it sounds like it's not quite what I'm looking for. Maybe I'll break down and get a new one but I'm a cheapskate at heart..... :)
Einar
CBoats Addict

Piranha

Post by Einar »

How is the Piranha's "wetness" Rick?
I had a Piranha rigged tandem and had to wear a snorkel. I seem to remember not much depth in the hull, even less depth under the hull.
My 200lbs didn't help.
e
Paddling is easy, organizing shuttles is hard.
Not misplacing all your crap in somebody else's car seems to be even harder
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Re: Piranha

Einar wrote:How is the Piranha's "wetness" Rick? . . .
Ah, yes -- a little damp in big wave trains. Depth amidships seems adequate, but the ends aren't deep enough.

Strangely enough, on a Cow Canyon run, we ran Last Drop (about 6' vertical), and came up pretty dry. We were both in the 165# range. I think that the bluntness of the bow helped it bounce.

But, I think with a lighter paddler in the bow, (eg. parent in the stern and kid in the bow) it would be a fun boat on II+ trip. Even an Adams run!

Rick
Attachments
Piranha Last Drop.JPG
C'est l'aviron. . . !
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

Pierre LaPaddelle wrote:
yarnellboat wrote: . . . I was wondering whether it would make a good parent-child tandem . . .
Not to hijack the thread (much), but I've been having a lot of fun lately with a recently-converted-to-tandem Whitesell Piranha (made by Clipper). Stable, but lively. I think it would make a great parent/kid tandem. Yours to borrow and try out.

Rick
I have a Royalex Whitesell Piranha I have been considering re-outfitting as a tandem. Do you have any pictures of how you set up your boat?
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

pblanc wrote:[. . . Do you have any pictures of how you set up your boat?
Pix are easy. PM on the way.
C'est l'aviron. . . !