Any reason to not use these ratchets for thigh straps?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

KevinAmirault
c

Any reason to not use these ratchets for thigh straps?

Post by KevinAmirault »

I'm thinking of putting these into my C1 Conversion as a way to get things to go and stay tighter. They are marketed as replacement ratchet straps for a backband, but I think they will do the job. People have told me to use old snowboard binding ratchets but these seem like a cheap and available option.

Thoughts?
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Re: Any reason to not use these ratchets for thigh straps?

Post by cheajack »

There is only one hole in the ratchet making it hard to stay put and in line with the strap you place it on.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

A drill or awl would correct that shortcoming...
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

Would that ladder lock not be the same as using a plastic ladder lock with a short length of 1″ tubular webbing (looped back and bolted to the cockpit rim)?
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

It is not the ladder lock that is the problem it is the ratchet itself. And no Scott, another hole is not the answer because the head of what ever fastener you choose to put in your added hole interferes with the ladder lock making it not so quick release.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

We aren't thinking about this the same way. I don't see the ladder lock end (or the hole end for the other one that i would want) being part of the release - it would be anchored. Another hole would let you control what direction it is pointed, but the more i think about it, why? Yes, you still need a ratchet - *that* could be QR. In my boat, the snow board binding bit is only for my knees, so I'm not worried about it being QR , its the thigh straps higher up. If i used ratchets for that, I'd rig a different QR mechanism separate from the ratchet (probably with a snap shackle).
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

Oh, are we all talking about the same thing?
I clicked on the link in the original post several times and it has taken me to two images.
Screen shot 2013-10-17 at 12.24.53 PM.png
Which one are we talking about?

(I love the ability to post images easy. Thank you Sir Adam for the Post subject: Posting images FAQ (edited Oct. 2013))
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KevinAmirault
c

Post by KevinAmirault »

I was originally asking about using both in combination in order to create a thigh strap, along with some webbing and a separate quick release for the whole system.
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

when used as thigh straps, I think we put a lot more stress on the tiny plastic parts than they are meant to handle.
..have seen a few ratchet setups fail. no problem at park and play...but if you ever go away from the road, you'd better have a backup ladder, and bolts.. and buckle...
Larry