Salamander Throwbag?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

hammerhead
C Guru

Salamander Throwbag?

Post by hammerhead »

I'm thinking of picking up a Salamander throwbag and I was wondering if anyone has had exp with them. In particular the Guide and the Rapidfire models, I've narrowed it down to those 2. I have looked over the posts from the past and they were very informative and helpful. Peace..
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Re: Salamander Throwbag?

Post by Todhunter »

I carry the Safety 50 (polypro) with me. A good bag to throw to swimmers, not a good rope for use with pinned boats. I recommend getting a Spectra rope if you're going to be doing boat rescues, and get at least 3/8" rope. If you're just going to be hauling people out of the river, a 5/16 polypro will work.
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
eddyhops
CBoats Addict

Post by eddyhops »

search.php?keywords=salamander" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JD
Northwoodsbc
C Boater

Post by Northwoodsbc »

I have the Rapidfire and like it. At first it seems a little bulky, but after a few minutes I don't even notice that its there. The bag ends up resting just above the back of my saddle. Sometimes if I lean back, I can feel it against the saddle but it hasn't been a problem. The Rapidfire throwbag separates from the belt. The Guide description says it is sewn to the belt? I don't think I would like tossing a bag with a belt attached, but maybe I'm reading the description wrong?

NRS also makes a few belt style bags. Their belts have a zippered pouch that holds the throwbag. Unzip and grab the bag.
VTBoater
Pain Boater

Post by VTBoater »

I've been happy with the NRS 55' waist-worn bag. The bag and storage pouch are a little longer and narrower than the Salamanders, so I never even notice it when I'm wearing it, even when I lean back onto my saddle. I think they're on sale on the NRS web site now.