Seeking advice on solo ww canoe choice after 6 year hiatus..

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

jsaul

Seeking advice on solo ww canoe choice after 6 year hiatus..

Post by jsaul »

Greetings all,

I'm a long-time paddler but new Cboats.net member - have enjoyed perusing the forums, what a great resource!

After about 6 years away from open canoe I am on the market again, and seeking advice from the boat gurus around here. I consider myself a pretty solid canoeist; used to run Class III-IV in a Viper 12, have dabbled in C1 and C2 slalom, but most of my time has been in a kayak up to light Class V (for shame!). I'm on the lighter side at about 160 lbs.

I'm most interested in a boat with some slalom-esque characteristics; I'd like to start running Class III again, catching lots of eddies and making moves. Probably won't run lots of steep creeks or really big water (I'm in Wisconsin after all, though I will probably make pilgrimages back to the Southeast on occasion). I really enjoyed the Viper 12 and will try it out again at least to compare; otherwise, I think I would enjoy a fast, edgy boat that can whip around in an eddy turn and be back in the current in a couple of strokes. Any advice folks??

I am also looking for boats to borrow/shops to demo from in the Upper Midwest that carry the boats I am most likely to consider (Viper 11 and 12, Zoom, Spark, others???).

Thanks!
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Re: Seeking advice on solo ww canoe choice after 6 year hiat

Post by Craig Smerda »

Well... you just missed Open Canoe Slalom Nationals in Wausau, Wi. a few weeks ago. We will be having a 2-day rec-release this coming weekend and Pete, Dewey and I will probably hang a few gates again. Lot's of good OC'ers around the area... come get acquainted with the group.

http://wausauwhitewater.org/events/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
jsaul

Post by jsaul »

Thanks Craig - I know, I am bummed about missing Nationals. 6 years in WI and have yet to get up to Wausau... there is no excuse really. I can't make it up there this weekend, but would like to come up for at least one of the release weekends in September. Look forward to re-engaging with this sport and meeting some of the Wisconsin boating community soon.
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Post by Mikey B »

I would look at the Shacho from Millbrook...or any of Kaz's boats for that matter :D
Also, you should really try out Craig's light L'Edge...hugely fun boat and surprisingly good for the slalom type stuff...but you do give up speed. But if you paddle mostly in WI that would be my boat of choice with a longer Millbrook for my back-up...in a dream world :-?
Welcome to the forum!
Mikey B
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

If you liked the edges on the Viper 12, I'd check out the Ocoee, now made by Nova Craft. Worth comparing to the other boats that I'm sure will be suggested on this thread.
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

I have paddled the Viper 12 quite a bit and I also have a Dagger Ocoee. Personally, I don't find the Ocoee faster than the Viper 12, although it might be a little drier.

If I were you, I would look seriously at the Spark, if you want a Royalex boat, or some of the Millbrook designs if you want composite.