Shoulder?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

deerwood64
c

Shoulder?

Post by deerwood64 »

So, have paddled with a single blade for almost 35 years with no major shoulder problems. Switched over to kayak 1 1/2 years ago because of knee issues and finally dislocated my shoulder on NFFB this week. Any thoughts on which style is harder on shoulders? Still paddle single blade quite often and may go back full time.
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Re: Shoulder?

Post by pblanc »

I have pondered this question for some time. I certainly know many more kayakers who have sustained shoulder dislocations or other severe injuries than I do open boaters or C-1 paddlers, but then there are more double bladed paddlers.

The only time I know for sure I tweaked a shoulder (my right) was hand rolling a kayak in a swimming pool. I have not had any obvious injuries paddling with a single blade, but just this year my left shoulder, which never sustained any injury, has started acting up. I paddle on the right and it seems that cross-strokes are aggravating my left shoulder pain. I have been contemplating going back to kayaking.
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

My personal, non-medical opinion is that kayakers are more likely to dislocate their shoulders, canoeists are more likely to tear their rotator cuffs.
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

Todhunter wrote:My personal, non-medical opinion is that kayakers are more likely to dislocate their shoulders, canoeists are more likely to tear their rotator cuffs.
Not that I have a lot of data to base an opinion on, but I think you might be right about that.
clt_capt
C Guru

Post by clt_capt »

I've definitely done more damage to my shoulders in a kayak than in an OC or C-1. The Duffek puts your shoulder in a very vulnerable position. I've popped my right shoulder out a couple of times - not fun - don't spend any time in a kayak anymore...
Silent Bob
C Guru

Post by Silent Bob »

In a kayak, your hands tend to be in a higher position relative to your shoulders than in a c1/oc1. That makes it easier to get into that unhappy place where your arms are stretched out and hands& elbows are above your shoulders. That's when you get hurt. I find K1 is much harder on my shoulders and very rarely paddle one anymore. Come to think of it, I'm not sure I even own one anymore...