Non Conversion C1 Freestyle or River Play boat

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Wodza
C Guru

Non Conversion C1 Freestyle or River Play boat

Post by Wodza »

Wondering what is out there that is a non conversion C1 freestyle or river play boat. I have been considering looking for a cheap freestyle/riverplay kayak to convert but wanted to check what else is out there.
canotrouge
C Guru

Re: Non Conversion C1 Freestyle or River Play boat

Post by canotrouge »

Others are better placed than me, but I can give you a few idea.... There is the Seth by Shaggy design, the MillBrook boat Amoeba... And all the boat made by Jackson and Big Dog, can be order with factory C1 outfitting, I guess it does not make them specific c1's, but close....
I'm sure there is a bunch more and that others will chime in and give you more options...
Cheers
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

If you want to surf, you want a Sith. The best surfing boat I've ever been in. It's also the most comfortable boat I've paddled. It's designed as a C-1, so it's wide & has a big cockpit. It's also totally symetrical. Oh, it weighs 20lbs.

Mine:

Squeeky Knee's:

One warning: It'll make a 'glass snob out of you. It has a feel that plastic just can't give you.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

It is decidedly not a perfect listing, but go to "Site Navigation - Primary use - river running" and you'll see C and OC boats designed for such... including some pretty old boats!

There are a number of great boats designed for what you want to do - but it depends on exactly what you want.

For speed and surfing in the river running arena:
Viper
Amoeba

For surfing and river running (decreasing speed)
Sith
Atom
Pagan
Wheelboy

There ARE others, too, depending on your paddling skill, like the Massive Groove (loosest boat on a wave I've yet to be in... but you need the skill to get ON the wave first;) )

If river running is your primary goal, and play is very much secondary there are other boats, too, like most shortened slalom boats, the Millbrook Wide Ride and Hornet

All that said, when I think "playboat" for surfing smaller waves the three designs that really shine are the Shaggy Sith (truly a great boat), Shaggy Pagan, and Drakar Wheelboy (plastic, no longer made). All the other boats listed are longer (and faster), but therefore require longer waves to surf as well. So it depends on what type of water you are paddling.... and explains why so many of us have more than one boat;)
Keep the C!
Adam
hammerhead
C Guru

Post by hammerhead »

Regarding the Sith, looks like it's great on a wave - How is it for hole ridin'? I use an Atom, which is great on a wave, but in a hole - not so much. At least with my skill set. Peace...
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

If you want a hole boat, go for the Pagan or some other spud-type boat. The Sith is not a hole boat. It's too long & pointy. For the stuff I paddle, I want a short boat w/ a bunch of upturn in the bow for holes. Unless it's a huge hole... :lol:
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

I'll second MikeW's comments - though it depends on your style. I don't like pointy boats in holes, but some folks (say, Ian Thomson or Paul Danks) can do amazing things in a pointy boat (Massive Groove) in a hole...

Pagan is excellent, as is the Wheelboy.

If you are looking more for side surfing than vertical moves, the Amoeba is surprisingly good as well.
Keep the C!
Adam
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

As mentioned by Sir Adam, the Sith works in a hole as well, provided the paddler has the skills. The hole does however need to be quite deep, as otherwise you'll smash the ends. Most appropriate holes for the Sith can be found on large rivers like the Ottawa. For smaller holes, the Pagan and Wheelboy are the way to go.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau