bilge pump batteries

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Joshuad_s

bilge pump batteries

Post by Joshuad_s »

I have a RULE 1100 pump that came with a boat but no battery. What batteries are good for this size pump?
Shep
CBoats Addict

Re: bilge pump batteries

Post by Shep »

https://www.cboats.net/cforum/viewtopic ... &t=7967422" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

The Rule 1100 has a 3.3 amp current draw at 12 V DC. Most people go with sealed lead-acid (SLA) batteries because they are less expensive and waterproof, but they are heavier than some other options.

Some folks would use a 5 amp/hour 12 V SLA for that pump, but I would go with a 3.3 Ah battery like this Werker: http://www.batteriesplus.com/product/32 ... r/12V.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That is what I use to run a Tsunami Atwood 1200 which is a similar pump, and it works fine.

You will want to buy a switch, an inline fuse holder and a 5 amp fuse as well.
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

You might eventually want to think about switching to an Attwood. I know folks that have used the Rule's and weren't happy. I use 14.8V, 5AH Li-Ion batteries for my boats.
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
Joshuad_s

Post by Joshuad_s »

pblanc, why would the 3.3 be preferable to the 5? And why aren't people happy with the Rule?
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

Joshuad_s wrote:pblanc, why would the 3.3 be preferable to the 5? And why aren't people happy with the Rule?
The 3.3 Ah Werker is significantly lighter and somewhat more compact than the 5 Ah. I have never used a Rule pump. The Tsumamis work great.
keez
C Guru

Post by keez »

I've used a 2.3A 14V battery from an electric drill for over 3 years now on an Atwood 1200 gph pump. The motor runs a bit faster, but hasn't burned out as yet. I got a drill and 2 battery packs with charger for $50 at Home Depot.
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

Joshuad_s wrote:And why aren't people happy with the Rule?
Can't recall why but I know two guys who had Rule's and quickly got rid of them after using them for a little while.
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
kmcinturff
C Boater

Post by kmcinturff »

I use a 12 volt NiMH that I purchased from this place: http://www.batteryspace.com/capacity200 ... packs.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I use a smaller battery to keep it light, and it is mounted inside a small pelican box with a waterproof connector. It is essentially 10xAA batteries, and I get two days of good whitewater trips out of one charge. It has never had any issues, battery has always stayed dry, and is much lighter than a lead acid, and cheaper than a lithium ion (but not as light). Around 20 to 30 dollars for the battery.

I also use a Rule pump - never any issues. I have a saltwater fishing boat and Rule pumps seems to be much more prevalent in that application, so I put one in my canoe as well. I mostly like it because of the shapr - it is perfectly round. I used a hole saw to saw down through my saddle, and the pump slides in with only friction to hold it in - no glue or mounts. I of course had to cut some lateral holes for the electrical connector and the plumbing, but this system has worked great so far.

The switch seems to be the weak point in these systems. I started out with a very expensive waterproof marine switch, and it was waterlogged and corroded within a year. My newest toggle switch is just a cheap brass one, and seems to be holding up well.
Einar
CBoats Addict

Post by Einar »

agree, the switch is the weak point.
I just buy several standard cheap ones, 5 amp, and build a series at once, giving me several ready to go spares. I use small pieces of aluminum box channel (Home depot) to make a universal housing that can fit under, thwarts, gunnels, or glue into minicell, put tails on the terminals and coat the switch with "liquid electrical tape" to reduce oxidation.
Everybody elses product is prettier but mine is modular, easily replaceable, and I expect nothing to last that long anyways.
Paddling is easy, organizing shuttles is hard.
Not misplacing all your crap in somebody else's car seems to be even harder
canotrouge
C Guru

Post by canotrouge »

Einar, can you post picture of your switch system??
Cheers
Einar
CBoats Addict

Swithch

Post by Einar »

Quick grabs of switch in place, two different locations, thwart and gunnel.
Thwart is wrapped in electricians HV splice tape so the metal doesn't rub on float bags.
Gunnel is mounted with two 6/32 nd machine bolts.

I installed my last spare a couple of days ago in a friends Caption; I'm PM you a photo of assembly when I do a new production run soon.

(Deadheaded hull hose fitting is because the hose length to pump was too short and system airlocked)

e
Attachments
P1020003.jpg
P1020002.jpg
Einar
CBoats Addict

Thread hijack

Post by Einar »

Realized I had the boat set up to shoot switch and it revealed my "cheap" camera mount.
A short section of 1.5 inch ABS pipe cut lengthwise, a hose clamp, a threaded extension and a joby ball mount.
System will "roll" with a roll, flexing on the rocks.
Attachments
P1020005.jpg
roscoe
c

Post by roscoe »

Einar,
Is the camera mount the 2nd generation new and improved.
canotrouge
C Guru

Post by canotrouge »

cool. thanks