PFD Reccomendations

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Dave.E
C Guru

PFD Reccomendations

Post by Dave.E »

I got the PFD that I am currently using when I was 13 (I am 20 now). I have stitched a rescue belt onto it and made some other modifications but it really doesn't give me the flotation I would like.

I am looking into getting a new PFD. I want to go all out and get a really nice rescue vest with an integrated belt, lots of storage and good buoyancy. Having the built in belay loop would be a nice feature as well.

Any recommendations and reasons why would be much appreciated!

Dave
https://vimeo.com/user32086287" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Re: PFD Reccomendations

Post by arhdc »

Hi Dave,

Rescue vests like what you are talking about are pricey but there are several good options available from Astral, Stolquest, Kokatat and others. Personally I like the look of the Astral Green vest and the Stolquest Decent vest. Both carry a premium price tag with lots of features and integrated rescue belts and get great reviews from their owners. The best advice is to get out and try some different vests on to check for fit and comfort as well as feature comparison.
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Best suggestion is to try different ones on.

There are a number of good ones on the market. I have a Green and like it but some don't like how it fits (body shape and range of movement).

There are a couple CAN ones out there that very good but not USCG approved (and v.s.) - usually a non-issue when you run into "the man" since they can recognize that you have a high end vest on. But local ranger guy did give me some heat once until his boss showed up!

And yes ...IMHO you need to upgrade since I'm sure you are a tad larger than 13 and 7 years is a long time for a vest in medium to heavy (even light) use. Can't be too safe on having a good vest!

Good luck... I'm sure a number of folks will have pros & cons and you can do a search on this on the site. I posted back a couple years on this too when looking for an upgrade.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

A word of caution- if you weigh over 180 the Astral may not meet your flotation needs at 15.5 #. Some of the others have more floatation. Of course, if you weigh under 180 there are lots of choices
VTBoater
Pain Boater

Post by VTBoater »

I have a Kokatat Ronin Pro, which I like very much, fwiw. It has an amazing amount of flotation for a vest that feels relatively low-profile. Do try on PFDs before you buy, though. I really wanted to get an Astral Green Jacket, but it just didn't fit me comfortably. With so many high-quality choices out there, you ought to take your time get the fit and function that's right for you. Good luck!
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

I am a pretty dense guy, and don't float very well. I find the Astral Greenjacket (2009 model) to be a little on the low side for me, flotation-wise. I am looking at getting the Stohlquist next time, which has the option of a small inflatable add-on to increase the buoyancy. Otherwise, I like the Greenjacket quite a bit, although the newer versions are very different from what I have.

As everyone else said, you NEED to try them on.

Shep
djutzi
C Guru

Post by djutzi »

All of the above sounds about right. Fit and flotation are most important in my opinion. Kokatat has a new vest just coming out, the Maximus Prime. It has gotten solid reviews and could be worth a look (has anybody here used one or even tried one on?).

One other thing to keep in mind is the importance of swiftwater rescue training. Make sure to take a full SRT/WRT course before deploying/using the rescue features integrated into a rescue vest.
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

This is a common question, do not forget to use the search feature.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rivercowboy
C Boater

Post by rivercowboy »

If you are wanting good floatation, check out this one from MTI Adventurewear.

http://www.mtiadventurewear.com/products.php?id=4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It offers good floatation along with some other cool features like pockets.

I fully agree, when using a swiftwater vest, get proper training so you can be sure you are able to deploy the quick release in a touchy situation... Like the ball coming off in your hand.
Charlie Wilkerson
ACA Certified Whitewater Canoe Instructor
Dickson, TN
Dave.E
C Guru

Post by Dave.E »

I've taken a rescue course!

After taking the better part of my morning researching, I am leaning towards the Astral GreenJacket. It looks like a solid PFD with some cool features.

The only problem is that I would need to order it online as I can't find a dealer close to me... Trying it on might not be an option.

Dave
https://vimeo.com/user32086287" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Walsh
CBoats Addict

Post by Walsh »

My wife just spent my REI dividend on a Maximus Prime. It is the only rescue PFD that will fit a truly small-framed person securely, and first vest that I really like since the Lotus P-Vest.

My P-Vest just ticked over 10 years, and though it is still intact, it is time to replace it. I do not care for the Astral 300/Green Jacket (I bought a lightly used 300 and never bonded with it) because of the pullover style. I will be purchasing a Kokotat, either a Ronin Pro or the Maximus.

(FYI, REI can order any Kokotat product into their stores.)
FURZTROCKEN!
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

Dave.E wrote:I've taken a rescue course!

After taking the better part of my morning researching, I am leaning towards the Astral GreenJacket. It looks like a solid PFD with some cool features.

The only problem is that I would need to order it online as I can't find a dealer close to me... Trying it on might not be an option.

Dave
Find someone near you with a Green Jacket. They're one of the more popular vests on the water (down where I live, anyhow). I originally bought a SM/M size, and while I can wear it, I eventually bought and like using the M/L better. The pull-over design was different, but I grew to accept it. The only time I have REALLY wished it wasn't a pull-over was when my straps froze after boating in 20-something degree (F) weather. It just took a few minutes to thaw, so it wasn't a really big deal.
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Post by Yukon »

http://www.whitewater-safety.com/our-pr ... l-on-vest/

Hydroscapes makes an awesome pfd however they are crazy pricey. They have a unique system that tightens your waist belt as you pull on the shoulder straps. I have one of their early models and very much like it. I need to fix the pocket zipper and its good to go again. think I will dig it out.

New Astral Green Jacket is nice, they have fixed their pocket closure which is a great improvement.
Canoe Instructor and full time canoe fanatic.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Yukon wrote:http://www.whitewater-safety.com/our-pr ... l-on-vest/

Hydroscapes makes an awesome pfd however they are crazy pricey. They have a unique system that tightens your waist belt as you pull on the shoulder straps. I have one of their early models and very much like it. I need to fix the pocket zipper and its good to go again. think I will dig it out.

New Astral Green Jacket is nice, they have fixed their pocket closure which is a great improvement.
The Hydroscapes is a brilliant piece of kit, but the waist tightening is not unique, the HF serpent (now discontinued) Hydraulics River Pro the Green Jacket and the Aquavest 3000 (the predecessor in astrals line) have that feature too.

The Hydraulics vest I mentioned is from NZ, but now seems to be available in Norway, the UK and some of Europe, not sure if it's made it to the states too. I'd say pound for pound the Hydraulics is the best of the bunch, the Hydroscapes simply doesn't offer value for money IMO.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Post by Yukon »

The Hydralics looks like a nice vest.

The Green Jacket does not have shoulder straps directly connected to the waist belt.
Canoe Instructor and full time canoe fanatic.