Spanish Fly bulkhead position

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

DougB
CBoats Addict

Spanish Fly bulkhead position

Post by DougB »

I just picked up a new Spanish Fly. The backrest of the bulkhead is 9" back from center. This seems a bit far back, at least compared to what I'm used to. Is this normal or good for this boat to be trimmed a bit bow light?
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Re: Spanish Fly bulkhead position

Post by Wendy »

I paddled mine a little bow light when sitting in flat water, but once you are paddling you adjust your body to whatever position is appropriate. Paddle it then add foam if desired. Easy to trim out to your liking
BlueFloater
c

Post by BlueFloater »

I would think with that bow shape, you would want it trimmed tail heavy to keep from plowing the nose under.
Walsh
CBoats Addict

Post by Walsh »

Trim any of the fly series dead neutral, and then adjust trim with body lean.
FURZTROCKEN!
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Walsh wrote:Trim any of the fly series dead neutral, and then adjust trim with body lean.
/\ THIS /\
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I bought mine second hand and the seat back must have been 10" behind center because I moved it about 2" up on the suggestion of another paddler (Chris Noble/Wetknobby) - made a remarkable difference. Much more nimble. I've since added another 1/2" of foam (that comes out in dry suit season).
DougB
CBoats Addict

Post by DougB »

Neutral, yes that is what I thought. It will be a few weeks until I can get it into the water but I think I will be stern heavy in this position. I'm tall so adding foam to the back isn't much of an option, neither is repositioning the bulkhead forward as the thwarts really can't be moved in this design. Hopefully it's close to neutral!
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I had to cut the "hooks" loose and reposition them. It took a little sleight of hand and some wax paper to reglue in the foam that fits snugly between the saddle and sidewall... But the fit is much better. Haven't used the thigh straps I rigged before then since I adjusted the bulkhead.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

As stated you can simply cut out a ring inside the thigh hooks to get further forward... trace out the pattern, mark it and cut 1/4" at a time until you fit properly. You can also add foam to the front and or back of the hooks to get more bite on your legs. I suggest using your wife's electric carving knife to make the cuts and then finish it with dragonskin and then sandpaper. If you get caught using your wife's knife don't tell her I suggested it. :lol:

Maybe this will help... http://kayakoutfitting.com/tips/wwcanoe/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter