Quik Release/Skirt Pull Combo

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

hammerhead
C Guru

Quik Release/Skirt Pull Combo

Post by hammerhead »

I'm looking for tips/pics/ideas for a release of my thigh straps(or lap belt) that would come off when I pull my skirt. I don't like the idea of having non-releasing straps under a skirt. I have mickey moused some "systems", but have not been happy with the results. Currently paddling an Atom with a perception saddle with both knee and thigh straps. The thigh straps have cam style buckles on them. Any ideas or exp would be a great help. Did do a search of the site and couldn't quite find what I was looking for. Cheers...

"Which way will the creek run when time ends? Don't ask me until this wine bottle is empty."

Jim Harrison
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Re: Quik Release/Skirt Pull Combo

Post by Bob P »

If there was enough demand, I might be persuaded to make something like this (preliminary design...). The straps would go around the retaining arms, released by pulling the violet plate forward. it would be designed to be glued to the hull or bolted to a horizontal spine.
Price in quantities would be about $60 each.
Bob P
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

I like Scott Broam's idea of attaching the pull for the snap shackle with velcro to the skirt - see http://cboats.net/cforum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7964973" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://picasaweb.google.com/scott.broam/CanoeOutfitting" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Snap Shackles... job done

I've been using variations on that system for about 3 years now... I posted up about my latest iteration here
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

that pretty much sums it up. :wink:
Larry
hammerhead
C Guru

Post by hammerhead »

Thanks for the info, looks like the snap shackle will do the trick. My outfitting is def "evolving" Cheers...

"Being on a boat that's moving through the water, it's so clear. Everything falls into place in terms of what's important and what's not."

James Taylor
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

Krikkit, just to clarify what is going on in that mass of green webbing: Both thigh straps are going to the snap shackle on their own loops and then the long bit runs from the release under your skirt and out?
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

TNbound wrote:Krikkit, just to clarify what is going on in that mass of green webbing: Both thigh straps are going to the snap shackle on their own loops and then the long bit runs from the release under your skirt and out?
Yep, that was a temporary fix... Once I had time to re-assemble my sewing machine I stiched up some loops of webbing with d-rings to attach to the shackle, and a long strap on an o-ring to link the shackle to my deck; Unfortunately I didn't take photos.

If I remember tomorrow, I'll get some pics of my current setup too.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)