What is a broken boat worth?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

So, what is a busted boat worth?

A frosty six pack
6%
$0-50
18%
$50-150
18%
$150-250
29%
$250 +
29%

Total votes: 17

TNbound
CBoats Addict

What is a broken boat worth?

Post by TNbound »

I'm curious what you all think a broken boat is worth, as opinions on the subject seem to vary wildly.

Assuming the boat is in a condition that it could be repaired (or IS repaired) with a weld or some glass and epoxy, what would you call a fair price? I've seen people asking upwards of 500 bucks for welded boats, which seems a little nuts to me. The most intriguing was a pyranha Burn with a 1x1 foot patch which was clearly welded on to the bottom with the blowtorch/screw driver method that the owner seemed to think was still worth $350... I guess to me a weld seems like a pretty temporary repair.

I've had two broken boats, an XL13 and my Prelude, and I think that free was a fair price for them. The Prelude I had welded for 50 bucks and a six pack of Newcastle, and the XL13 I fixed on my dime and gave away to a new boater.

So, what do you all think?
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
DougB
CBoats Addict

Re: What is a broken boat worth?

Post by DougB »

It varies widely because the demand for each boat is different as is the demand within each local market.

As far as repaired boats, I've sold 2. One Starburst that was oil canning and had multiple cracks that were poorly patched in the field. This sold within hours of posting for $250. Another was a Swift Raven that had multiple cracks that were patched up very nicely. I got $150 plus a set of bicylce wheels. I had a Ocoee that's in such bad shape, no amount of patching will fix it. I traded this for a 12 pack of tall cans and it's since been cut in half and mounted for display in a garage.

It's the same for used boats that are not repaired. For example, I bought an unused Vertige X in NY for $800. I paddled it for 2 seasons then sold it in ON for $1100.
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

It varies widely. A repaired Royalex boat is not worth as much as well-repaired PE boat. There is a huge difference between a well-repaired PE boat and a poorly repaired PE boat.
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
Bill M
C Guru

Post by Bill M »

A well repaired rx boat is worth $300+ iho. An easily repairable one probably in the 200 range. Plastic is still a mystery to me.
Bill
rowdus90
c

Post by rowdus90 »

I bought an ME a few years ago for a hundred bucks - It was all but destroyed, 20 or more hours of hard labor & about another 100 bucks in materials produced a boat I trust, my Kevlar patches/West System epoxy is holding up very well and showing no signs of stress.
I couldn't see sending a boat to the landfill that could still be fixed. It came with some decent wood gunwales, an older NRS bag that needed a patch or two, a saddle & thigh straps. I stripped it down, fixed her up and paddle it as my WW/solo camping canoe.
Just for an idea of what kind of shape it was in - It has ~15' of linear cracks (about 3/4 of the cracks didn't go through both layers of ABS, although several feet were completely fractured through) a few puncture wounds and a fist sized hole...She doesn't look pretty & always attracts some questions from other boaters.
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Post by John Coraor »

Not only is it important to know the boat design in assessing price, but even more important is construction. Often "broken" composite boats can be very easily repaired in a manner that is structurally sound and almost as strong and light as the original layup. While a composite boat with repairs is always less valuable than a comparable boat without damage, neither their structural integrity nor their monetary value is compromised by well-executed repairs in the same way that tends to be the case with PE or ABS canoes.

John
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Depends on what boat and how broken...

I usually reckon £150 ($240ish) is the most one should ever really have to pay for a welded kayak... and even then only small, solid welds....
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

I once sold a composite boat broken completely in half, and by that I mean 2 distinct pieces. Got $100 for it. That was in 1996. The owner of that boat fixed it and is still paddling it today.
JKaz......
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

This would be hard to say, To me it would depend on how much the buyer was willing to pay. I think PE boats should sale for about a third of the new price. Royalex more like a forth
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
Paddler
Pain Boater

Post by Paddler »

Once a boat is cracked it's been compromised and is at far greater risk of breaking again, basically at that point your only paying for the outfitting.
The line will become apparent
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

I have a Karnali C-1 with snowboard bindings for knees and rachet straps for thighs on a seat rail conversion that I welded a year ago and it is still going strong. I think the boat is worth $200 no skirt and no bags. Any takers?
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

Wrong forum.
JKaz......
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

OK. Try this. I just bought an H3 hull with two cracks in the cockpit rim that had been welded sorta and I rewelded them. I paid two hunny for the hull and was glad to get it. My apologies to the assistant junior forum police.
Paddler
Pain Boater

Post by Paddler »

let me rephrase, once a boat is cracked it's been compromised and no longer legit for use on class V. On the majority of rivers using a cracked boat will be fine.
The line will become apparent
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

I think all plastic boats are more likely to crack running Class V.