How much rocker should a WW canoe have for class 2 - easy 4s

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

GosuPaintballer
C Boater

Re: How much rocker should a WW canoe have for class 2 - eas

Post by GosuPaintballer »

Ok, sounds like i need to pick a canoe that can do class 2's and some 3's outfitted like i want. Then if i progress and get good enough to jump into hard 3's and 4's i'll have to break down and buy another canoe. And yes, you can buy kayaks that can do everything from class 2 up to class 6 stuff if you got the skills and balls to try it! lol I guess i figured some canoes were made the same way so you could run easy class 2's all the way up to class 5's in the same boat, but this does not seem to sound like you can. Although i'm sure some of you will say you could take a boat for class 4 and 5 and run easy 2's with it, but on the down side those boats aren't gonna have the seats, but have saddle's in them where you're kneeling all the time (which i do not want).

Having said all that, i've started looking at the Old Town Appalachian, Wenonah Rogue (which looks almost identical to the Appalachian), and the Mohawk XL 15. These all look like good choices for what i'm wanting in a WW canoe. Anyone with experience with any of these boats or have better suggestions on other canoes to look at that would fall into these same type of catagory i'm looking at?
jlc22
c

Post by jlc22 »

The XL15 will be the better whitewater boat. The Appalachian or Rogue will be better all round boats. If you think you'd use the boat on flat water or river tripping, the new trail they're putting in the the French Broad for example, the Appalachian or Roque would be better choices. Our old canoes, which were similar to the Appalachain have been paddled on everything from the Intercoastal waterway to Chattooga Section 3 at 3 1/2 ft.
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

GosuPaintballer wrote: And yes, you can buy kayaks that can do everything from class 2 up to class 6 stuff if you got the skills and balls to try it! lol I guess i figured some canoes were made the same way so you could run easy class 2's all the way up to class 5's in the same boat, but this does not seem to sound like you can.
Okay, I admit I'm kindof steamed at that comment.

You CAN buy a canoe that will run class II to Class V, but you have ruled out saddles in favor of cane seats in a boat that has to be tandem AND solo capable. You can't find that in a kayak either!!!. You are asking for a Ferrari that can tow a ski boat behind it.</rant off>

I can't remember, did you actually try a boat with saddles? If you TRULY want a solo or tandem boat that can run up to class 4, an Esquif Blast with a triple saddle is probably the best thing you can get.

Shep
we'll c
C Boater

Post by we'll c »

I have done lots of tandem canoing on Class I to III, and kayaking and now solo canoing the same water. The progression takes time for most of us. The main challenge is to gain the same control you may get quickly in a solo kayak in a solo canoe. Having a paddle on both sides (i.e. training wheels) does speed up the learning process, but you will take a step back when you take the trainers off!

I have also had bad experiences getting a foot trapped under seats in classic tandem canoe in Class III water, and would say that as soon as you expect to be into harder water, you need to be "fitted" tightly to your boat to control it, but also be able to quickly wet exit if need be.

Have fun in a traditional tandem canoe, take the kids on some easy stuff and when your single-bladed skills are developing then move to solo whitewater in a used, cheap, beat-up, solo boat with a saddle IF you've tried one and can put up with the kneeling position.

Have fun!

Bob
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

As a final thought from me, where are you located?

There are many of us who would be happy to put you into a WW canoe with a good saddle to try before you rule that type of outfitting out entirely. At this point I find a saddle more comfortable than the laced seats in my Nova Craft canoe (they are the most comfortable traditional canoe seats I have yet experienced). If you already know, that you know, that you know, that there is no way you are going to kneel then I guess don't bother but a saddle would make what you want (a class II-IV canoe) more attainable.

Good Luck.
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
GosuPaintballer
C Boater

I think i have found the perfect do it all canoe plus seats that i'm wanting. Been doing a lot of research and came across the SOAR inflatable canoes. Anyone on here have experience with these? They look to be very easy, forgiving, and can paddle anything from flat water up to class IV WW with no problem.
Bob Wiggins
C Guru

Post by Bob Wiggins »

you mean the ones craig posted a link to on page 2?
GosuPaintballer
C Boater

Bob Wiggins wrote:you mean the ones craig posted a link to on page 2?
No, not those. This is what i found... http://www.soar1.com/sec_canoe.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd love to hear opinions from those of you that have paddled one of these before!
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

From page 2
Here's the IC's... sorry I couldn't recall the name of the company this morning.

http://www.soar1.com/sec_canoe.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
dsmoake
C Boater

Post by dsmoake »

I have a Soar Canyon (it is a little wider than the regular and has more carrying capacity) and it is great. Very stable and forgiving. It makes a great low water boat with camping gear and can handle big water(tandem or solo). It is a bit bulky in tight technical water but it's stability makes up for it. A friend of mine has one that he puts a frame on it and rows solid III/IV in it. Being a self bailer is also very nice.

I also have a Mohawk Nova outfitted with center and end air bags and knee pads glued in. It is also a great boat. My wife and I run II+ in it and I have paddled it solo through classIII. The airbags don't completely fill the boat but the one time I have swamped it I still had enough control to paddle it to shore. I would probably not take it through III's tandem because it would swamp much easier with the 125#s in the front. That is what the Soar is for.

If your like myself and many other boaters here, your always thinking about your next boat! :wink:
Dave