Longboat ender video

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

tokebelokee
C Guru

Re: Longboat ender video

Post by tokebelokee »

Sbroam, are they any steep, ender-friendly play spots on the Saluda just above Columbia?
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

The best section runs pretty much right through town. Our most reliable playspot is right at the Zoo and can ender a Spanish Fly even at lower flows. Never really had any luck endering a bigger OC-1, though there are some spots that might have the power (at higher flows), but maybe not steep enough...

Heading this way?
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

AT the 2:30 mark--SWEET!

Old school, babee! :D
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
djutzi
C Guru

Post by djutzi »

I know its already been said...but yes, this is quite spectacular. Great work!
tokebelokee
C Guru

Post by tokebelokee »

Sbroam I am from Greenville originally but have never paddled in the Cola area. A friend and I used to run a Coleman Ram-X 15 down the North Tyger, though...fun run for sure. One of these days I'd like to see what's going on in Columbia. Does the Saluda (or anything downstream) need a release to run?
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Min flow from the dam is runnable, but not enough to come from out of town for - if you were coming to the Zoo or here for another reason, bring a boat. Unfortunately, with what has become "normal" rain fall in this watershed, "min" has become the new normal. We are supposed to get scheduled releases when the dam relicense is finalized, but for now the only release we can count on is the Saturday of Mother's Day weekend (rafting fundraiser, about 9K CFS) and the Ice Man Race on the 1st Saturday in January (about 5K CFS) - both are good levels, the higher is worth the drive for the water; the latter is worth the drive for the shenanigans.

My first whitewater was a trip on the Little TN and shortly after that on the Nat - right after those my father-in-law gave us a Coleman Ram X "Marine 17" - ran the Saluda in that a bunch, including the highest water I ever saw on it, something around 20K CFS...
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

Loved the filming. Very well put together. Plus, lots of fun boating.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

A reply to the Saluda branch of this thread - here's a typical spot a low water :

http://youtu.be/IBBO7oaIbyc