Caption outfitting - center bag size?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Big Al
CBoats Addict

Caption outfitting - center bag size?

Post by Big Al »

What size would work best?

Thanks,
Big Al
drrpm
C Guru

Re: Caption outfitting - center bag size?

Post by drrpm »

I would not bother with a center bag in a Caption. In a tandem whitewater set up both paddling positions are moved towards the center of the boat and there will only be about 2 feet of space between the paddlers, so there really is no room or need for a center bag.
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

Al, I use a single Voyageur Mini Split center bag (urethane nylon) that measures 36"x22"x22". It fits nicely with the long dimension crosswise between the pedestals. Doesn't weigh much, either. Unfortunately, Voyageur is not in business any more. Harmony Gear sells some of the old urethane Voyageur bags, but I don't believe they are selling the Mini Split centers.

I might have an extra one or two. I bought out a Mountain Gear store in Seattle that was selling off all their Voyageur bag inventory at a ridiculous price. I will check and if I do I will bring it along next time I come to PA (probably in June) unless you are by chance planning to come to the ALF this spring in which case I will check sooner.

If you feed me a few of those strong-butt beers of yours I might be persuaded to part with one at a very good price. I forget the name of the beer ... Horny Monkey?
Big Al
CBoats Addict

Post by Big Al »

C Guru -

Thanks. As of now, I do plan on coming to ALF and would let you share in god's nectar (Golden Monkey) regardless of the bags.

I can get a 36"x36" .35mm Nylon/Vinyl center bag for $33.80. Will that work and is it a good price?

Big Al
PatrickOC1
C Guru

Post by PatrickOC1 »

Hopefully hazardharry chimes in on this thread hes got his boat outfitted with dunnage bags for like packing freight(sp?) in trucks think he said like $4 a bag hes got a solo a bit bigger than a caption and I think uses 3-4 in each end, leaves em inflated in the boat and ive never seen him have any issues and I boat with him a fair amount...... check ebay for dunnage bags
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

I have heard of a few people using the dunnage bags for flotation.

I guess it would depend on your pedestal placement. In my Caption the 36" x 22" bag buts up against the back of the front pedestal and fills up the space nicely without encroaching on the stern paddling position. The 36" width will work fine (it winds up being a little less than 36" inflated, of course. I suspect a bag that is 14 inches bigger is going to want to lap over the heels of the bow paddler and knees of the stern paddler a little bit, but you might want that. Of course, if you can construct a good bag cage that keeps it constrained you don't have to inflate it as much, and your pedestals might not be the same distance apart as mine. The price seems OK.
ice-breaker
Pain Boater

Post by ice-breaker »

In my Caption, I don't use a centre airbag. However, I will often tie a dry bag or two between the front and rear paddlers, or alternatively, even a 60L barrel or a cooler. It is all floatation, and you never know when a cool one will be needed.

dave
bushpaddler
C Guru

Post by bushpaddler »

We use, if no bulkhead, one 54" endbag in a sewn "bra". It's also a nice spare bag if necessary, can be seen here:
http://www.bushpaddler.de/alseseca.htm#lower" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Flo
http://www.bushpaddler.de/bilderundtouren.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;