dry pants

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

dgmonster
Pain Boater

dry pants

Post by dgmonster »

I want to get peoples opinions. I want to hear what you have to say about dry pants in a c-boat with a saddle height 5~5.5 inches high. I can not wear wetsuit pants because they bind behind my knee and inflict leg pain not even this seasoned c-boater can endure! I can only hope dry pants do not bind! What are people's experiances?
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Re: dry pants

Post by TNbound »

Dry pants are comfortable in a C1, but in my experience not especially dry. I used the Nookie xtreme ones for the start of this season mated to a Stohlquist dry top and would basically have pants full of water if I took a good swim. They were dryer if I had a skirt on (OC1 vs C1) but still pretty wet. Towards the end of the season they weren't even worth wearing.

A dry suit with a skirt tunnel is definitely the driest choice.... Or maybe try a different brand of "dry" pants.
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

Drypants won't bunch up and bind like neoprene, but the ankle gaskets push me over the edge. Some people dont mind, but they drive me nuts (not a far trip, some would say).
keez
C Guru

Post by keez »

I had a $1000 swim once using a dry pant/top combination;

after being trapped in ice-cold water for ~20 mins, I went a bought a dry suit!

Pricey, but unless you paddle in Mexico or CR, a dry suit is a much better option in my humble opinion.
Keez
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I think drypants could be a viable alternative, especially on a budget. I have a set of the Kokatat bibs, which are in many ways similar. I have also paddled with neoprene pants - these are a set of thinner ones (Camaro?) - that I found comfortable enough to paddle C-1 with, but I have a taller saddle. If you need to add layers, the dry pant set up will be more accomodating while maintaining knee comfort. Latex ankle gaskets can be a hassle to get on and off - socks are more comfy and quick to put on, but you really need to make sure you have a fairly water tight set up at the waist. A skirt can help with that. In an open boat, I've used one of those neoprene back braces (10" wide strip with velcro) to enhance the seal between top and pants - adds a little warmth, too.

Dry suits are great, but, they are an investment. I essentially skipped a boat purchase, but am glad I did. I have asked myself why I didn't do it sooner, but I know the answer - I didn't need one so much when I was younger - i put up with a little discomfort (mitigated by paddling more often than I do now) and spent the $$ on other gear!
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

my buddy Pete always used to cut holes in the wetsuit on the back of the knees for this very reason before he finally got a drysuit. (see picture)

you can always wear a poly or wet-suit shorts and some taller socks... although it looks really dorky.

but... if you're going to go cold weather or cold water boating... nothing beats a drysuit. :wink:

yes... a Kokatat

yes... Weldwood in the red can

yes... feet on the footpegs
Attachments
mysticCrossfire01-LG.jpg
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

Try to stay away from bibs, they can fill up with water in a swim and that can be BAD NEWS. I used pants and a dry top for a few years. The pants (NRS) can leak a little in a swim but not too bad. Definitely a lot cheaper than a drysuit and reasonably comfortable
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

At the prices you pay these days "drytrousers" are a waste of money, as they're just not very dry...

They don't bind behind the knees (so long as you don't overdo the insulation), but are inferior to a good wetsuit in most other respects.

If you can find one in your budget, a drysuit is the way forwards (dont worry about fancy features or paddling specific drysuits; if its a suit that keeps you dry, it'll be better than the alternative).
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
riverratNE
c

Post by riverratNE »

If you are going to get dry pants, get the ones with socks. I have a pair with the ankle gaskets, and absolutely hate them.

I echo the others that a drysuit is worth the money if you paddle year-round.

-Lex
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

My bibs mate to the dry top's spray tunnel - even without that, I'm not sure how they would be significantly more prone to filling up than pants when under a good top. Without a relief zipper, I give significant points to pants for other reasons...