Practice for you hard edgers

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Practice for you hard edgers

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

Here is a homework assignment for those of you that paddle hard edge boats and are lookin for new things to learn...the Outside edge eddy turn. Once you get it down your eddying skills will be superb. You'll also have a big smile on you face every outside edge eddy you hit well whether it be in class ll or class V. This move when mastered will allow you to hit eddys that you'd simply bleed out of if you used an inside edge eddy turn.

How it works....when entering into an eddy you should always be crossing eddy lines with power and speed...this goes for both inside and outside edge eddy turns. You should also be carving upstream as you hit the eddy line. Both speed and carve are what cause the "snap" to happen when you hit the eddy...

When crossing the eddy line drop your outside edge. This will stop you dead. If you hold that outside edge your weight will continue in that direction and you will either flip or have to brace hard. So what you want to do is drop outside edge breifly. Then pivot weight to inside edge. By doing this... It causes you inside edge to grab water and stop the momentum of flipping....when done right you will experience a joy you may have never felt.

Start with easy eddy in inconsequential situations and build up. Remember as an open boater your eddying skills should be above all else. The ability to hit any eddy you want is priceless on the water. And can often be the difference in being upright or upside-down and dry or wet. And in class V can be the difference between....well you get it

This has been this weeks edition of "coaches corner" with Eddy McGnarlz.... :)
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
avlclimber
C Guru

Post by avlclimber »

My Prelude is just about as stable sliding into an eddy on it's inside edge as it's outside. You can be all fancy and do it on purpose, or just forget to lean and get tossed to the outside edge, but once it's there--surprisingly enough--you snap right around.

It is interesting that the boat just wants to be on edge and doesn't really care which one. I have not tried this on any seriously gnarly currents, but in strong, distinct eddies it is a blast!
Marc Evans
C Guru

Post by Marc Evans »

I think you can see it all in one of Smerda's earlier videos. Check at 1:24 and in slow motion at 2:04. You can clearly see all of the elements.

http://vimeo.com/5213136

Marc
Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Post by Cheeks »

I tried it once in my Viper before my shoulder was so sore. Gumpy and I have talked about it. It's a great way to kill the speed of a fast boat like the Viper, which can carry speed into the eddy. I have pitoned hard off the back side of rocks that were creating the eddy because i took it hard, high, and fast.

I plan to work on it some more once I feel I can actually drop a meaningful brace, because it definitely will result in some knotted-stomach tilts and possible flips at first.
Chris Loomis
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

I use these a lot... my main problem is using them more than I should for offside eddy turns, almost to the point of using them exclusively when I'm in my prelude.

I use them less in the Gus; But... They do still work, in spite of it being a pretty rounded hull.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Marc Evans wrote:I think you can see it all in one of Smerda's earlier videos. Check at 1:24 and in slow motion at 2:04. You can clearly see all of the elements.

http://vimeo.com/5213136

Marc
@ 0:18 & 0:35 Roy does a roll using the powerface... that crazy b@st@rd!!!

:lol:
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
Nessmuk
Pain Boater

Post by Nessmuk »

I plan to work on it some more once I feel I can actually drop a meaningful brace
with an outside edge eddy turn, there is no reason to do a low brace- your paddle should be on the other side of the boat (on the inside of the turn)- essentially doing a high brace in the eddy.

Watch Graig's video- engage your outside edge, and plant your paddle in the eddy on the inside of the turn.

But the turn Eddy M is describing is a more complicated (and probably less effective) variant of the turn that Craig is doing.

The turn (as done by Craig) is actually quite easy and more stable than you might think. You just have to get past the initial discomfort of doing the opposite of what you normally do.

Can't comment on the ease or stability of the Mcnarlz version... :D
Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Post by Cheeks »

That dawned on me as soon as I clicked post, but it also applies to a high brace as well. I've had shoulder tightness for the past couple of weeks and its really hampering my aggressiveness in terms of the moves I can bang off.

I'll have to check out Craig's video when I get out of work, I'm sure its purdy.
Chris Loomis
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Well actually speed it not what cases the snap - it's current differential.... whether it's an up or down streme-edge. So we :) really needn't be racing in. Rather it's all about the amount of control (balance while on edge) so practice both until secure enough to do them on and off sides.

And this might help with your penetration :wink: problem: http://www.cboats.net/cforum/viewtopic. ... e&start=24
Last edited by philcanoe on Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
    ^~^~^ different strokes ~ for different folks ^~^~^
    FullGnarlzOC
    C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

Yes. When practice you are lookin for the eddy with current differential. Very good point Phil.
    http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
    Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
    Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
    oopsiflipped
    CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

it looks like you'er trying to do a stern pivot, but forgot you were in a canoe!

i don't think i've ever done that actually. or at least not that i'm aware of. have to give it a shot.
    KNeal
    CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

One thing I have not seen mentioned yet, and I consider this pretty crucial especially when trying to stay upright--move your torso in the direction you want to be going. If you want to flip offside, then lean your torso to the offside. If you want to get a good eddy turn or eddy peal-out, lean your torso toward the direction of the turn; doesn't matter the edge of the boat. You should also use a duffek/cross bow rudder (like what Nessmuk posted) when hitting an eddy turn rather than a low brace.

Wayne Dickert did a real nice job covering open boat eddy turns (and lots of other stuff) in the video, "Drill Time! Solo Playboating 2". I found it really useful to understand the hows and whys and wherefors and whatnots of inside/outside edging on eddy turns. Check it out and learn a little more. :D

Happy to throw $0.02 around to help. :wink:
    C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
    jakke
    CBoats Addict

Post by jakke »

I used to call it an outside-tilt-swim when I was starting that move :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Now I mainly use it for those really narrow eddies, where you need speed to get in, but have to turn really fast or you pop out on the other side or hit the rocks.

But it is a really cool and practical move, even on flatwater! When instructing on flatwater for a bit more advanced paddlers, I make them do outside-tilt-turns, to get to know the feeling. Most of them will encounter it on the river when they forget to tilt. So it might save them one or two swims.

Tommy, check out that "somewhat older video on creeking in a viper11". That guy does an amazing job coming in on a carve and putting his viper flat at exactly the right moment to speed up the turn, impressive. I should watch it again to get the timing.
    yarnellboat
    C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Isn't "Drill Time" Kent Ford?

FullG just said "brace" not specifically "low brace", so who knows what he meant, there's lots of ways to "brace. Maybe there is no conflict. But I agree with the posts (and videos) that on an eddy turn your blade should be planted on the inside of turn, meaning that a low brace isn't an option when you drop the outside edge. I agree your torso and a high brace/draw/stroke are what's needed.

KNeal, I get the advantage/fun of carving an outside edge into an eddy turn - but I've never seen it recommend for a peel-out! :o

Pat.