Beatdown and discouraged

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

hankrankin
C Guru

Beatdown and discouraged

Post by hankrankin »

I am overcome with feelings of self loathing and frustration as I took many beatings on a raging and angry 4.5+ bottom moose yesterday. My shins hurt and my outfitting busted, but that is nothing compared to the damage done to my *sniffle* paddling ego. I have already thrown around the usual excuses "Too much water for my first time down a new run" "Only my second time in this boat" "My outfitting wasnt up to par for that big of water either" "My skirt blew three times (it actually did)", but i think i know what really happened, along with whatever other problems i was having I wasnt prepared and ready to run such a volume of water on a run like that, regardless of whether i had seen it before or not. Maybe this was good for me tho, not only did i find weak spots in my outfitting (There were some major flaws), but i found weak spots in my paddling, and i have been greatly humbled by the river (as i usually am once every couple of months or so). Sorry for posting my own personal frustrations
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

Very sorry for your frustration Hank. I had a similar crisis of faith a few months ago when we were getting pounded with rain here. I have been digging myself out of that hole, and have since run a 4 that I felt great about... If I make it to the Ocoee this weekend, I believe that's where I will really try to get back on the horse.

Hope you shake the feeling soon, but learn something valuable!

Shep
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Dr. P. Addler say's he'd usually prescribe Bootie Beers to ease the pain ;)

Seriously though, I wouldn't worry about this (or about using cboats to moan about your own paddling issues) I've done both semi-frequently; and it makes us better boaters... eventually.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

I had a totally humbling experience on the Raquette, skirt implode, outfitting issues, beatdowns, swims, etc. I walked off, took photos of buddies and kept my tail between my legs for the day. It happens to everyone I think if you're constantly pushing your personal limits. Its not how you fall off the horse, its how you get back on.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Good words Mark. I'd add that things like this happen as we have to be really on our game to step it up. If you're not feeling it that day, pass on it. That's easier said than done since we put so much effort into getting the time to boat it's hard to step away. Peer pressure kills, paddle your own boat. :)
madmike
C Guru

Look at some other rivers

Post by madmike »

to get back in.

Play up the Middle and Lower Moose
Hit the Fish at 6.5-7.5
Check out the Otter and Independence.
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Re: Beatdown and discouraged

Post by KNeal »

hankrankin wrote:i think i know what really happened, along with whatever other problems i was having I wasnt prepared and ready to run such a volume of water on a run like that, regardless of whether i had seen it before or not. Maybe this was good for me tho, not only did i find weak spots in my outfitting (There were some major flaws), but i found weak spots in my paddling, and i have been greatly humbled by the river (as i usually am once every couple of months or so). Sorry for posting my own personal frustrations
You are welcome to post a "bad paddle day". It gives the rest of us the chance to share our "bad paddle days". I've had them--had several of them, including a most embarrassing one where I declared most definitively that I was not getting out of my boat (to help with rescue), ran the gnarly stuff only to flip in a class 2 nothing rapid, could not stick my roll, and punched out of the boat. My buddies made it a point to question my boating attentions. Now I have my reason too and it is real--my shoulder has been bothering me bad for years and I didn't want to strain it rolling the boat up. Seriously! :D

Take the day for what it was and keep on getting back on the rivers and enjoying the life of a cboater. There is nothing cooler than paddling a canoe, chicks dig us, and those kyackers just admire the hades out of us. 8)
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
fez
CBoats Addict

Post by fez »

imagine
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

There's more scars on my shins than on a linebacker's knees and I got 'em on far less difficult rivers that Class 4.5+. Some beatdowns are harder to shake off than others. Just don't let it scar your "want to". Focus, dial up the practice and put your game face on for the next run at it.
iRolled
BlackFly Canoes

Post by iRolled »

I've been beat and battered on numerous occasions, and I learned something from everyone of the experiences. whether it's about the boat, the river or yourself. You gotta know how to interpret what happened and figure out what must be done to correct the issue.

My recent beat down was on the Ocoee River, on Broken Nose rapid. I clipped a rock going over a ledge so i set up for a roll. While being upside down, I impacted a rock with both my head and shoulder. I still rolled up, but screaming and grabbing my arm, head was fine. I thought my shoulder was done for. Anyhow, after the incident, I was a bit unsure about running the rapid again, but I manned up to it and ran it again the next weekend.

Shoulder is still hurt, but Im stubborn.
Team Blackfly
http://www.blackflycanoes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.astraldesigns.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.immersionresearch.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

4.5 Bottom moose is stompin. That could / would happen to 90% of C1ers/OC1ers.

Like Mark said... "it's about hopping back on the horse." Every rough day on the water can be turned into a positive. For me, it's made me mentally tougher, and more able to deal with such days.... just remember... it happens to everyone. Kudos for coming out with it.
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
dafriend
C Guru

Post by dafriend »

Having been thrown from horses more times than might be considered sane, and having had a fair share of "off" days in the boat I can say with certainty it is easier to get back in the boat than back on the horse. Doesn't matter what you're riding, the sooner you get back on the better.
hankrankin
C Guru

Post by hankrankin »

Thank you to everyone for your encouraging words and inspiring stories, the Cboating community is very supportive and part of the reason I choose to single Stick with it (bad pun intended :D ) I'm looking forward to getting back on my next challenging run, though i'll take my time and learn from my experiences and others experiences as well. Thanks
jakke
CBoats Addict

Post by jakke »

I tend to say: who, a 4.5+ run, you've gotten a beating and you're frustrated. Part of the game.
Well, I've written it, but pretend I did not write it, since it's not true. The level of rapids doesn't matter. It can be painfully confronting if you can't do what you thought you could do. And painfull can be mental or physical.
Take your time to sit back and think about what happened, but be honest to yourself. You'll learn, and if you're willing to, you'll step up. find and fix those painpoints in your skills and/or outfitting, and off you go. Probably up to the next hard lesson.
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

Exactly! "Sometimes you eat the bar, and sometimes the bar eats you."

For met at least, beatdowns are part of progression. This year I have pushed a lot, and gotten my share of bumps and bruises and swims and rolls. It happens. Just make sure when the defecation hits the rotary oscillator, your friends are there to put videos of it on youtube and facebook. And throw you a rope, too. :lol:

Also, I know i'm just repeating what everyone else has said, but the picture from the Big Lebowski got me all excited...
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."