if any choice, what K1 would you convert?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

french erick
C Guru

if any choice, what K1 would you convert?

Post by french erick »

Hi folks,
Seeking C1 knowledge.
I paddle a prelude, which I really like. Paddle III/IV so far.
For space reason (and money too), I will not be able to take my boat back home to the Alps from Scotland...which sucks!

However, I might be able to get a K1 for cheap down there, convert it and leave it there for every summers to come (at my parents).

I do river running, would like to start creeking at some point. I'm 5ft11 and 165lb.

Please could you give me a top 10 boat list you would go for and I'll start looking for one cheap in the Alps (you don't need to justify your choice... I'll do consencus vs. availability).

Ta
Erick Baillot
Paddler
Pain Boater

Post by Paddler »

Liquidlogic Remix, any size that fits you 59, 69, or 79. You'll be able to river run and creek in that machine.
The line will become apparent
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

I'd convert a Jefe or Jefe Grande, it took me a long time to work it out, but it does need the saddle to be lower and very slightly further back than is normal for a c1 to get best results.

Not exactly coincidentally; If you'd be able to take it with you, I have a welded Jefe shell you can have for nothing, it's currently a bare hull, but I have some ideas to make it back into a viable if ugly C1 at next to no cost (as I already have pillars salvaged from old boats).

If you want me to try and sort it out, I'll grab the shell (and some reinforcing material to make sure the weld holds) and put some pillars and grab handles back in/on; there's also a saddle (it's the one designed to accept quick-change bulkheads) from the previous convertion.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
hankrankin
C Guru

Post by hankrankin »

I paddle a H3 255 (im 155 lbs) and love it on creeks/downriver, its got some hard edges, never paddled a prelude but It feels similar to my ocoee which the prelude was based off (or so i hear). I assume a Burn would be similar as well
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I used to have a Prijon Rockit - loved the plastic. Would be interested in seeing some current Prijon hulls. Haven't seen a *current* Prijon arounf here in forever.
jharris
C Boater

Post by jharris »

Thoughts on the Burn for someone who likes a really edgy boat? I've heard it's not as fast as some, but I was talking to K1ers and haven't heard from anyone who converted one
we'll c
C Boater

Post by we'll c »

I have a small Burn and a Remix 69. The Remix is much faster - I actually find myself overshooting targets (surf waves) when ferrying. The Burn has harder edges and is therefore more playful and slightly less forgiving. I'm calling the Remix my "confidence boat" and the Burn my "playful / solid boat". Both are excellent!

Only other nomination for river running is a Dagger GT(X) which is high volume, fast and surfs nicely.
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

I had an everest which is a burm with just a little more length. Found it to be an awesome C1, (just didnt like the hole skirt thing)

a friend jad a burn and just didnt think it was fast enough. I think the Everest solves some of that problem.

super stable, with an added Edge.
Kind of reminds me of a sleeker, faster C1 Ledge
Proud Yankee
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

TonyB wrote:I had an everest which is a burm with just a little more length. Found it to be an awesome C1, (just didnt like the hole skirt thing)

a friend jad a burn and just didnt think it was fast enough. I think the Everest solves some of that problem.

super stable, with an added Edge.
Kind of reminds me of a sleeker, faster C1 Ledge
The everest is a good boat (in my mind the best boat pyranha currently make by a loooong way...)
But it's more than just a longer burn... The major improvment is that they softened off the increadibly sharp edges (Finally), the boat is narrower than the Burn L but has more volume, resulting in a boat which has a better volume distribution and finally the rocker profile gives similar boofing characteristics to that of other creekboats, yet a longer waterline length than most of it's competitors...

It's the first of the inazone derived (well how else did you think the H2 Zone got it's name and distictive nose profile?) full size boats I can legitimately call a creekboat rather than a river runner without feeling dirty.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

Personally went from a prelude (first OC1) to a Remix 69 and never looked back.
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

I hear that liquid logic is coming out with a new planing hull creeker. something like a cross between a remix and a Jefe. I ain't seen nothing.

y'all can probably find something on faceboof.
Larry