First Aid Kit, what is in it?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

RobertM
Pain Boater

First Aid Kit, what is in it?

Post by RobertM »

I just finished a CPR certification and am adding a breathing shield to the pin kit/ throw rope/space blanket that always go in the boat, but I'm trying to figure out what goes into an appropriate first aid kit.

Proper training is probably more useful than stuff and no knowledge, and I'm working on that, but I'm wondering what people are generally carrying.

I understand that there will be regional and personal variations (allergy issues, specific medications, etc) as well as variables associated with duration and degree of remoteness.

Currently most of my paddling is day-trips with varying degrees of isolation from roadside and a 10 minute drive to the nearest medical facility to 3 miles of rough hiking and a 90 minute drive, so equipping for those circumstances is my starting point.

Any thoughts?
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

I completely agree that equipment without training is the wrong way to go. Unfortunately, I also learned on ski patrol that training without practice is also not helpful. That said, I know I don't get enough practice with this stuff now that I am no longer patrolling, but I do try to practice as much as possible....

I am an EMT-B and WFR, and occasionally teach WFA and AWFA. So, with that in mind, I carry:

Main dry bag:
Pin kit
folding saw
Bag 1
Bag 2

Bag 1:
2-3 pairs non-latex gloves
Sam Splint
Tongue depressors (for finger splints)
Large gauze pads (8x10 "Trauma" pads)
Duct Tape
3" Vet Wrap or Coban (stays on in water)
Various Tapes
Trauma Shears
Cravat
Chemical heaters (glove warmers)

Bag 2:
CPR Microshield
Medium Gauze pads (4"x4")
Small gauze pads (2"x2")
Bandaids and anitbiotic ointment
1" Coban left over from a doctors visit

It all fits (tightly) in a 3L RED drybag.

Shep
Lappie
C Guru

Post by Lappie »

I would add to that, a small camp towel, to dry out skin before puting dressing and bandage on, so it stick better...
Sorcrow
c

a few additions

Post by Sorcrow »

Greetings,

I'd add a couple of sealed diapers. And maybe some of that blood stopping stuff. If you're headed south I'd throw in a snake-bite kit (just my upbringing coming out). Participants should also have their own epi-pens if needed.

Here's a link to a kit my sister did a while(!) ago.

http://www.gapaddle.com/media/The_Eddy_ ... 197505.pdf

check page 6.

A piece of history. She also helped organize the Green River Races that year.

Sorghum Crow

ps also check out the ads: "Low Volume Hahns for $245" Those were Hahn Mk IIs and they were the bee's knees. I bought my first one the previous fall for only $225!
ncdavid
CBoats Addict

Post by ncdavid »

In addition to basic bandaging supplies, I carry two aluminum finger splints (1 large, 1 small) and some finger cots. I only carry two meds-- ibuprofen and Tylenol PM (tylenol and bendadryl).
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

Having bad experience with tradition first aid supplies on the river, I rely on duct tape as my main medical supplies. But of course a well stocked first aid kit can come in handy in some situations. A sam split is great advice that I didn't carry but would be handy, those wrist finger, ankle etc. injuries happen all the time.

So I carry with me all the time:
Good sized roll of duct tape
Iodine water purification tablets
Emergency style bivy sack
Hippo Patch boat repair kit
Matches/Lighters/Dryer Lint
2 Extra Stored Away Granola Bars
Small roll of flagging tape (for marking trees for take-outs or rescue)
Breakdown paddle

I've also seen statistics on boating, specifically day trips... that a large majority of injuries occur during lunch. I guess people just get complacent and are looking for a break and not being as careful.
jottsee
Pain Boater

kit

Post by jottsee »

20 cc of 2% lidocaine in a sterile syringe for acutely relocating TonyB's ankle.

Knife to cut off drysuit and make sure it is not an open fracture.

Duct tape and 2 random pieces of wood for splinting.

Mickey of Lemonchello (sp?) for the pain

6 advil for my headache after listening to him scream

jc
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

Norse Breakdown paddle (to use Tgrip as Billy club to keep Jottse from cutting my drysuit)

Some cash ($20-$200, good for everything from buying Ice on way to hospital to bribing a local to carry your boat)

Cell phone (to call local friends to find out where the hospital is and which one to avoid)

I agree with the Lemoncello

Ibuprophin

I also like to include an Orthopedic Doctor (though he moved) and a Mechanic into my paddling crew. Im still working on a Lawyer. but we do sometimes have a pilot.

Oh and I only screamed once, and that was a reaction from the crunching sound, and seeeing the bottom of my foot, not the pain. And I doubt you heard it where you live.

BTW Maxy pads and tampons are great for stopping bleeding, Joe usually has some on him depending on conditions.
Last edited by TonyB on Fri May 13, 2011 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud Yankee
Crash
C Boater

Great stuf

Post by Crash »

So many good ideas.I always carry some sugar. Diabetics are common.Low blood sugar can be bad.
C-Ya+Ride Safe
Crash
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

Don't carry the snakebite kit unless you just want something to point and laugh at! cutting and/or sucking at the sight of the wound does nothing good and could do some bad things.

Shep