XL-15 Saddle Placement?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

kabuki_blaze
C Guru

XL-15 Saddle Placement?

Post by kabuki_blaze »

I am trying to re-outfit our XL 15, going from paddling thwarts to saddles. Presently the paddling positions are set up back to back, not much room in between positions.

Our present position:

https://sites.google.com/site/bbfarmtru ... edirects=0

https://sites.google.com/site/bbfarmtru ... edirects=0

I have looked around and emailed Mohawk, but have not got any great guidance on where to place the saddles.

Is there an advantage to be closer? Further apart?

I know I need to trim the boat out, but I am not real sure how to gauge that measurement either, other than the 1". If any one has picture of an XL15 with tandem outfitting or has any advice, I would appreciate it..

Thanks
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

what type of saddles what are you after (how do you plan to use the boat. how big are the saddles maybe with a little bit of info I can help you out
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
kabuki_blaze
C Guru

Post by kabuki_blaze »

2opnboat1 wrote:what type of saddles what are you after (how do you plan to use the boat. how big are the saddles maybe with a little bit of info I can help you out
Thanks Richard. I am installing foam saddles, the Mad River TKO saddles.

http://store.noc.com/Mad-River-Canoe-Pe ... 06/Product

I plan to use the boat mostly for class II-III+ river running, but would like to also have it for overnight trips. I bought this boat fairly cheap hoping to convince my wife to invest in a Blast, probe 14, or some other high performance whitewater tandem.

The position we are in now feels OK, just the boat is fairly wide at the center and you really have to reach out past the gunwales.

Any suggestions would be great.
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

the closest that we have to this saddle is one that I set down and make. But from the front deck plate to the vertical peice of the saddle the back rest it is 63.5 to the front one and 102 to the back one. I hope this helps You are kinda asking a ford dealer to customize you kia. We dont know for sure true measurements cause we dont install those saddles and everyones is just a little diff. If you are happy with the set up why change it
Richard Guin
kabuki_blaze
C Guru

Post by kabuki_blaze »

Thanks Richard. This helps, I am just looking for general guidelines, I am not someone who spends hours dialing in the perfect fit, but looking for a starting point.

Basically, I am generally just asking the dealer where the hip center line is for each paddler, regardless of saddle type. I would then work from those points of reference to customize a fit. I have seen people in XL-15s that are far part and others that are right on each other. The XL15 seems like it can go either way, just wondering what the differences are in paddling? I realize this is a preference, sorry if my question is not detailed enough.

A general question, the closer we are, is that better for maneuverability? What are the trade-off from for being closer as opposed to father apart.

I will use your measurements and see where that puts us...thanks again.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

When looking at a boat as wide as an XL, I've pondered offsetting the pedestals like a slalom C-2 has offset cockpits... But then again, I've pondered many pointless things...
kabuki_blaze
C Guru

Post by kabuki_blaze »

sbroam wrote:When looking at a boat as wide as an XL, I've pondered offsetting the pedestals like a slalom C-2 has offset cockpits... But then again, I've pondered many pointless things...
Interesting, I like the "out of the box" thinking there...
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

I like sbroam idea but there is no real set standards if I were to outfitt this boat I would have to set the boat up and paddle it see if I like it then glue it up. The prob is we dont do a lot of saddles in the xl 15. The measuements are the mest we can do I have not spent enough time in the boat to have a good idea.
Richard Guin
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

On further thought about offsetting pedestals - that might really screw with your thigh strap set up...

Try using carpet tape for temporary outfitting.
kabuki_blaze
C Guru

Post by kabuki_blaze »

2opnboat1 wrote:... The prob is we dont do a lot of saddles in the xl 15. ...
I promise, last question here...But what do you typically do with a XL 15? seats?
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

it seems now a days we do most with seats for camps and the such most individuals seem to get the boat for tripping. I wish I could give you some more solid numbers but I have spent very little time playing with it. BUt as of late I have been looking at one for overnight camping. So maybe I will get time to play with it.
Richard Guin
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

The XL15 I borrowed a couple of years ago had a triple saddle.
chriscanoe
Pain Boater

Post by chriscanoe »

why not take the boat, your wife and a buddy to the lake, get your saddles the distance you want them apart, you and your wife get in the boat and have your buddy tell you when the boat is trim. You would adjust it by sliding your saddles forward or backward. Once trim mark the saddle locations with a marker, then glue away.
PBR ME ASAP!!
keez
C Guru

XL-15

Post by keez »

Better be a pretty good friend, if you're asking him to look at your wife's trim!?!