Maxim vs Prelude vs L'edge

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

milkman
C Maven

Maxim vs Prelude vs L'edge

Post by milkman »

This post is mostly directed to NC David. As a fellow Prelude paddler, I'm curious how he would compare the Maxim to the Prelude. I've never had the chance to paddle a Maxim, so I'm curious, particularly since it's coming out in PE. I threw the L'edge in there in case people wanted to use that as a frame of reference.
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

L M n o P :wink:
iRolled
BlackFly Canoes

Post by iRolled »

I've been in all three boats and of course , they've all got their attributes. The Maxim is a great creeker and play boat. It boofs, it surfs, it rolls, it whips into eddys like there's no tomorrow. Once you get used to it's edges, you can do it all.

The few times I played in the prelude I found it to be super tippy. I was in a hole doing 360's. I found myself going over but was able to recover. I suppose I could have done better if I'd given it more. The prelude, like the Maxim does it all as well. It's got speed, boofability and surfability. I've seen PLG whip into eddys so quick he'd do a faceplant on the rocky bank. That's where that round hull got him, hehehe. Tippy. The maxim too is tippy but you can take it way over on it's side.

The ledge has all the same attributes but with a whole lot of stability. I jumped in one and paddled it for a bit but didn't do much in it. Most of what I've gathered from this boat is from observation and reading about it. It was a little slow but it's other qualities make up for it.

On the speed scale I'd say the Maxim and Prelude are pretty close and the ledge a bit slower but not much. I think all short boats are slow in eddys. It's when you peel out into the current that you get good speed. Each boat has something to offer. Speed, edge, stability. All worthy vessels. But I like the maxim. It's pushed me and made me better as a result
Team Blackfly
http://www.blackflycanoes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.astraldesigns.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.immersionresearch.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

swimingmexican wrote:But I like the maxim. It's pushed me and made me better as a result
I feel exactly the same way about my Maxim. It's taught me a lot. I've swam a LOT out of this boat, and this has inspired me to start working on a roll. I actually got one roll in the Maxim in a pool last week. The Maxim is VERY tippy, the edges are VERY responsive, it is slow (the bow wave is HUGE), and it is super light weight (nice on the hike out). I do really like the boat - as said it surfs and spins great. I haven't boofed it yet, but I hear it's a boofing machine.

I just bought a L'Edge last weekend and have yet to paddle it. I paddled one for a few minutes on the Lower Yough a month ago, and really liked the stability. Hopefully I can take what I've learned in the Maxim and apply it to the L'Edge, except I hope to be able to focus more on paddling and less on trying to stay upright!

Never paddled a Prelude, but I really would like to.

My goal (as of right now) is to get familiar in the L'Edge and take it on runs that are new to me, or are a step up in skill level. I plan to use the Maxim primarily on runs I am familiar with.
canoemid
C Guru

Post by canoemid »

I'd like to hear more comparisons of the three boats, and why not throw a Zoom in the mix.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

canoemid wrote:I'd like to hear more comparisons of the three boats, and why not throw a Zoom in the mix.
and a Solito... basically keep it to boats currently in production
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

I'll second the Zoom inclusion request. It's what I currently paddle and would love to hear how it compares.
oc1paddlr
CBoats Addict

Post by oc1paddlr »

nice review alex....and as far as 'production' boats, craig, do they still make the zephyr?
paddlr
red boat ready
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

oc1paddlr wrote:nice review alex....and as far as 'production' boats, craig, do they still make the zephyr?
of course... but it doesn't fit into this length group imo
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Inflatable Spanish FLy

Post by Wendy »

After paddling the upper green today for the first time and getting my take out hike work out I had a fantasy of an inflatable Spanish Fly. The Air Force design wouldn't need too much modification to get there. Funny the things you think about while walking up a mountain.
canoemid
C Guru

Post by canoemid »

Wendy, That hike will make you wish for a PE Maxim with the stablity of your L'edge.
canoemid
C Guru

PM sent

Post by canoemid »

Smurfwarrior, I sent you a PM.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Haven't gotten a PM yet. Here's my email Ducatismurf@hotmail.com
oc1paddlr
CBoats Addict

Post by oc1paddlr »

canoemid, i think you sent me that PM i'm just an ocoee kind of guy...so what do i know louie @ zoom "you can paddle a 5 rapid, pull into an eddie and flip in the eddy"
paddlr
red boat ready
oc1paddlr
CBoats Addict

Post by oc1paddlr »

canoemid, i think you sent me that PM i'm just an ocoee kind of guy...so what do i know louie @ zoom "you can paddle a 5 rapid, pull into an eddie and flip in the eddy"
paddlr
red boat ready