c1 paddle length

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

PaulD

c1 paddle length

Post by PaulD »

Here we go again...

I searched for c1 paddle length but couldn't find what I was looking for....

I'm new to C1 and recently bought a BigEZ and a 58 inch paddle. I went with 58 inches based on the standard method I keep reading about: sit in the boat, measure up from the floor to you nose, then add the blade length. This got me to a 58 inch Werner Bandit.

I just tried this out today and it seemed long, particularly on the cross side. My upper hand was over my head on the cross side.

Seems like I should've gone with a 56? I'm 6-ft tall, 33 inch inseam, and usually wear a 33-inch sleeve, if any of that helps. Oh, and I'm in Colorado, paddling shallow rocky rivers.

Any guidance?

Thanks!
xmas0c1c1k1
CBoats Addict

Post by xmas0c1c1k1 »

I am about the same size as you and paddle with 56 or 57 inch paddle. 58 isn't too long by any means I think your fine anywhere from 56-58 more about preference at this point I will say I prefer a shorter stick in a playboat
pyc1
C Boater

Post by pyc1 »

I haven't heard of this measurement method. It sounds reasonable, but I suspect there are significant discrepancies compared to the method I've always used: sit in the boat on the water, hold the paddle vertically, submerge the blade to the neck, and the t-grip should be at eye or eyebrow level. I'm also 6'0 and use a 57 for both C-1 and OC-1.

If it's not returnable, you may be able to remove the t-grip and cut some of the paddle shaft before reattaching.
Plumbpass
C Boater

Post by Plumbpass »

Hi Paul.

I'm 5'10" and paddle a Super EZ C-1. I use an inexpensive 54" Aquabound Edge fibreglass paddle and find the length works well.

Ryan.
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

good luck getting the t-grip out of a bandit. depends on how you paddle where your top hand should be. if you want a cheap 56" to compare, i've got an aquabound i'm trying to get rid of.
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

If it feels too short, well, that's the ultimate measure!

A lot of peole go to a shorter blade for C-1 compared to what they're used to in an open boat.

I'm 5'10" and have been paddling 58" or more often 57" in OC, for C-1 I think my current favourite is closer to 53".

Pat.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

There's nothing wrong with your upper hand being over your head on some cross strokes. Watch the racers and you'll see it happens with them also.

Racers apparently like longer paddles than playboaters. According to Bill Endicott, Jon Lugbill and Davey Hearn were racing with paddles around 59", and they are not tall men. Playboaters are free to choose what feels best.
dgmonster
Pain Boater

Post by dgmonster »

For big water I use a 56" paddle, for more leverage. For play boating I use a 50" paddle with a very small blade. Both boats use a 6" saddle and I'm 5'6. It really depends on what you are comfortable with and your experience.
scott curtis
C Guru

Post by scott curtis »

a paddle too long will hit the top of the cave roof, thats the way i c it
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

I use a 54" for playboating, a 56-58" for creeking and a 60" for open boating and a 150cm for slalom if thats helpful.
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Post by John Coraor »

Paul:

It's certainly possible that you would be more comfortable with a shorter paddle. However, you might also want to consider whether your discomfort with the length, particularly on cross-forwards, could possibly be related to your technique and C-1 being a new boat for you.

Having taught a number of paddlers new to C-1, I know that novice single-bladers often find paddles of appropriate length to "feel" too long initially when doing cross-forwards. In part, this relates to the unfamiliarity of this stroke and the unusual contortions that it demands, but it is often exacerbated by improper form and/or a reluctance to fully commit to its execution. Novice single-bladers often try to execute a cross-forward from a position that is too rigidly upright in the boat. From a fully upright position, a cross-forward feels very awkward as well as relatively ineffective. Of course, because it feels awkward, it is difficult to commit to executing the stroke with power and confidence. It is counter-intuitive, but a cross-forward becomes easier and more effective when you reach forward relatively aggressively at the catch, leaning forward with your torso. While one would expect this to exacerbate the feeling of a paddle being too long, when done with confidence and authority the forward reach and lean, combined with an underwater recovery between each cross-stroke, typically has the opposite effect.

Following up EZwater's observation about C-1 slalom , if you look at photos and/or video of top C-1 racers, you'll often see cross forwards executed with the lower arm almost scraping across the bow deck and the grip hand well above the helmet due to this aggressive forward reach and lean.

If you have any experienced C-1 paddlers in your area that you can call upon, you might consider having them take a look at your stroke and see what they say.

Of course, if you paddle a lot of shallow rocky rivers, then you're going to inevitably find yourself tripping over a rock on your cross at some point!
:D

John
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

Lots of informative responses.

I'm 5'10" and paddle my EZ C1 with a 56". For OC I use a 57 or 58".

There appears to be a current trend towards shorter paddles, faster cadence.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;