ergo shaft paddles

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

DougB
CBoats Addict

ergo shaft paddles

Post by DougB »

Who makes paddles with an ergo shaft (shaft with slight bend where it is gripped)? I know that Select paddles/Kayak imports can make one but are there other options?
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Polar Paddles (Walt J) will make you one custom to your requirements. I know Keith B was making them (prior to his stroke) and this is where Walt J picked up the tech to do the work. Custom wood paddles are the coolest. I beleive Scott Broam has one so he might have a lead on a southern mfg.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Check out the Sawyer venom bent shaft adjustable paddle. I love mine.
Mission
C Boater

Post by Mission »

Mitchell Blades (the UK one, not the US one) can make up paddles with ergo shafts or proper cranks if you want.

I've been using one of their ergo shafts for about a year now and I am pretty happy with it.

http://www.mitchellblades.co.uk/canoe-paddles/
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

PAC wrote: I beleive Scott Broam has one so he might have a lead on a southern mfg.
I have one (and lost one:-( ) but my was of northerly manufacture, not southern - Climax Paddles were made by Maxwell Johnston (Maxim designer) of Quebec, I believe. I have no idea how to get in touch with him these days - I'd happily buy another.
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

h20 makes one
Larry
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

had one and absolutely HATED it [img]http://boatertalk.com//images/icons/for ... t/gack.png[/img]

they're o.k. on a forward stroke (slalom or downriver racing) but on a wave or in a hole it was just bloody awful... at least that was my experience with the one I had (and sold) and all the others I tried.

straight shaft... curved blade... it just works
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
Plumbpass
C Boater

Post by Plumbpass »

I'm pretty sure Gonzo paddles with a H2O with an ergo shaft. He likely purchased it in Ontario too. If he doesn't respond to the thread, pm him and ask, I'm sure he can point you in the right direction Doug.

Let use know what you think if you do end up getting one!
DougB
CBoats Addict

Post by DougB »

H20 bend is too far down the shaft - for C1 rather than OC1. My wrist has been bothering me a lot (insert joke here) so I want to try one of these ergo shafts to see if it helps.
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Plumbpass is right, I had an H20 with the ergo shaft. Sadly, the river took it from me at some point. Doug is right, the bend is way too far down on the shaft to be used in an open canoe, since it is basically half of their kayak paddle shaft with an extension.
In the end, I have gone back to straight shafts.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I had a chance to try a H2O paddle recently and concur - the bend was too low and made the paddle feel even shorter than it was. I was sure it was shorter than mine but when compared, it was 2" longer...
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

the great gonzo wrote: it is basically half of their kayak paddle shaft with an extension.
This is true of the Mitchell Blades (UK mfgr) paddles too.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

i was looking at shaggy designs web page earlier and they make a bent shaft. does anyone have experience with their paddles bent or straight?
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Shaggy designed the Sawyer Venom paddle. The bend is in the right spot for me and the shaft feels like an AT bentshaft K1 grip.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Oops, wrong shaggy.