C1 / OC1 for Flat Water ?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

jscottl67
CBoats Addict

C1 / OC1 for Flat Water ?

Post by jscottl67 »

I moved to Tampa, FL (from NC) a couple of months ago and really haven't been doing any paddling lately. Obviously, there isn't much (any) whitewater around here that I've found yet - the closest thing is getting the 17' tandem out in the wakes of ski boats/jet skis.

At any rate, since I was moving down to the land of lakes, brackish rivers, bay, and the gulf coast - I got rid of my Ocoee and Cascade months ago. I'm missing the fun of whitewater and especially missing having something funner to paddle than a monstrous tandem.

Sooo....what are options for a 6'3" 215 lb. guy to play on flat stuff and not lose all paddling skills? I've thought maybe a C1 that could float me, but with ends slicey enough to sink easily to play, but also capable of covering a few miles on the flats without praying for death ;) I halfway got a roll going in OC and the Cascade (oddly found OC1 roll easier), but given the flatish water, I'd be willing to work on getting that nailed down.

I have long legs and am OK with a cockpit like a Cascade, but I must admit that at times I found the idea of having to pop a skirt, straps, etc. and work my knees and then feet out from under the deck unsettling. Again - willing to work on that, especially if I get to work on it somewhere flat and not in a shallow, rocky river ;) Or I could possibly do an OC1?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

C-1 slalom or squirt boat, maybe a Viper C-1 would be ideal. Fast. Tippy enough to keep things interesting. Flatwater stern squirts can be entertaining. Fun in surf.
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Post by jscottl67 »

Thanks Scott. I know in composite boats there are different cuts for different weights...what should I look for in a Viper C1?
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

215? Full or pretty close to it.
ncdavid
CBoats Addict

Post by ncdavid »

If you decide you want a full-cut Viper, I have one that I'd sell.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

The section of river I live on is rather slow moving (well, except for the dam just below my house...) - for the most part paddling here (vs. hoping in the car) I either hop in a flatwater OC1 (old Wenonah Advantage - great boat) and cruise around, or hope in a squirt boat and work on rolls, stern and bow squirts, stalls, etc.... Lots of fun.

For comfort I'd go for a Viper, and enlarge the cockpit if you have to. Wouldn't be too bad cruising around then either.

For a little less comfort by more cquirtability go for an Acrobat.

For a really different experience a master cut acro, Ceemweaver, Oxygen, or Mentor:) . But I think that's a bit extreme given what you mentioned.
Keep the C!
Adam
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Post by jscottl67 »

I've seen some of the videos of the Cquirt boats in action and it looks like fun. Would a Viper work for flat water cartwheels, etc (or bow too big), or would another craft be more suitable to that?

Remember, I'm in FL and a lot of dark/brackish water...I've paddled with 8 - 9 foot 'gators in sight - usually see a few (5 or 6) on every river trip. I'm not sure how many I don't see. Soooo...though I want to have fun, I'm not sure how much time I want to spend under the water v/s having my big arse a couple inches above the water line.
TommyC1
C Guru

Post by TommyC1 »

If you want to stay mostly out of the water you might consider getting something like a Wildfire/Starfire/Merlin II/Perigrine and learning quiet water Freestyle.
http://ww.freestylecanoeing.com/
Some folks, myself included, find the performance aspect a bit goofy. But the techniques cross over to whitewater OC1 paddling pretty well.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

flatwater freestyle moves will definitely enhance your sense of balance...

A Viper won't work for cartwheels, at least not on flatwater - far too much bow volume. For cartwheels you need an Acrobat or a Ceemweaver :-) There are kayak conversions that will work for cartwheels, i.e. the Score/ForePlay/Triple X, but those will be unpleasantly slow for knocking around on flatwater (but could be fun in surf).