Tandem Dagger Encore?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Tandem Dagger Encore?

Post by Todhunter »

Am I crazy for even thinking it?

I have been wanting to get my wife in a boat, and I will be wanting to get my daughter in a boat as soon as possible (she's 2 weeks old). I hope they'll eventually be solo boaters, but for now, I need a tandem to get them experienced. Since I bought my Maxim, my Encore hasn't seen the water. It is a lot of fun to paddle solo, but I was looking at some tandem boats, like the Esquif Blast, and realized that it was the same length as the Encore, so this got me thinking.

I would really like to set it up with something like Mohawk's triple saddle, so that it can be paddled solo or tandem. Mohawk's website indicates that the boat should be symmetrical to use this saddle, since it is paddled in one direction for solo, and the other direction for tandem. Does anyone know if the Encore is symmetrical?

Has this been done before? Good idea? Bad idea?
SkeeterGuy86
Select Paddles Sponsored Paddler

Post by SkeeterGuy86 »

have been wanting to set up an Encore tandem for a while now ... set it up with foot blocks made of foam and thy straps for both paddlers and it would be fun ... i have seen 1 tandem Encore (GAF 09 had a tandem Encore that someone bought that weekend).

SG86
SG86

here in the south east god paddles on the left and that's how he made our rivers ~ oc1paddlr

http://select-kayaks.com/en/paddles/canoe-raft/c1/
jroneil
C Guru

Post by jroneil »

Bad Idea for the wife get a big 16 -17 foot tripper or something.
I scared the heck out of my wife in the caption the encore is even small! you scare them they will not want to do it again!
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

If it makes a difference at all, we are both small people, < 140 lb each.

I do have access to a Discovery 169, but it is set up with seats - not saddles.

Maybe I just need to put her in the Encore by herself and take her down a Class I / II?
WaveRhydr
C Boater

Got to agree with jroneil

Post by WaveRhydr »

The reason why I have an old town appalachian when I have an esquif blast is pretty much the reason given by jroneil.

I started my wife and I off tandem way too early/soon on the esquif then had to start over. I love that appalachian btw. Its one sweet boat. We have a good time in it. She likes the feel of that boat, as do I....but boy she doesnt have that feeling toward the blast. A tandem team is after all a TEAM. If my wife/partner is tensed up it prolly gets me tensed up as well. It sure makes for a world of difference on the river how the team feels towards the boat.

The more I think on jroneil's thoughts the more it makes sense to me. Dont worry about if you can fit a tandem team into a boat, worry about will the team like the fit.

hades will prolly freeze over before I buy another esquif, and its got nothing at all to do with the quality and design of esquif boats. My blast is one fine boat. I just know as soon as I said esquif that I would set the stage for negative expectations. Just as old town, mad river and dagger names set the stage for happy outcomes, lol.
Bill M
C Guru

tandem Encore

Post by Bill M »

I think Louie had one set up for him and one of his kids. It would probably be fine with you and a child. 2 - 140 ponnd people would seriously overload the boat and it might be no fun at all.
Bill
mr ray
C Guru

Re: tandem Encore

Post by mr ray »

Bill M wrote:I think Louie had one set up for him and one of his kids. It would probably be fine with you and a child. 2 - 140 ponnd people would seriously overload the boat and it might be no fun at all.
Bill
I use my Encore for single-saddle "tandem" paddles with my 16-month old. She just holds on to the bags or thwart or sits on the bottom. With the big 60" (or more?) bags she's always within arm's reach. No whitewater for her just yet, though.
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

Cool, thanks for the replies. I'll leave it alone for now.
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Bad idea. ain't symmetrical either.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Ain't symmetrical? :o Our Mad River Synergy is quite assymetrical, and we do fine in it. We do load it to near the limit. My wife likes to stick to class 2, but that's OK.
TommyC1
C Guru

Post by TommyC1 »

I don't know about the fit but I've paddled my Encore with about 60 lbs of camping gear + my 190 lbs and thought it handled pretty well.
That's only 30 lbs shy of your combines 280 lbs.
You'd probably need to experiment with the trim but I can't think why symetry would be an issue otherwise.