What would be a good high volume tandem for class III

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

jroneil
C Guru

What would be a good high volume tandem for class III

Post by jroneil »

My son is large 6'1 240lb and I am large 6'1" 270
we use a tripper on class II and get very wet we tend to crash through the waves rather than over. Maybe this is the best choice but I was looking for other options
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

Esquif Canyon or evergreen starburst much better choices.

My .01$ worth.
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Caption
jroneil
C Guru

Post by jroneil »

I had a Caption paddle it with my wife and she is not as heavy as my son the boat buckle in the middle on a wave train this was a defect and was replaced by Mad river and the dealer. After that my wife said she did not like the boat and she would not paddle with me in it again and will do the tripper. The new replacement boat I have is much stiffer and I set it up solo It is an awesome solo class III boat
I tried it for the first time this week I went through stuff I would never have survived with my outrage X
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Allow me to rephrase - "Dagger" Caption
TommyC1
C Guru

Post by TommyC1 »

Joe, have you tried the Dagger Dimension?
BIG boat.
Surprisingly responsive.
I believe the NHAMC has at least one so trying it out should be easy for you.
Sadly they are no longer made but you do see them for sale used from time to time.
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

cheajack wrote:Allow me to rephrase - "Dagger" Caption
You bet MR has crappy rlx... but we don't wanna go about it right now do we? :lol:

canyon and starburst are biggy exp boats if you just looking for a duo playboat then maybe the mohawk xl15 would be a good choice...
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
jroneil
C Guru

Post by jroneil »

Joe, have you tried the Dagger Dimension?
Maybe I will try it some time I have also seen them for sale
I learned in the Dagger Legend 16' With Rod and I the gunnels were only a 2-3 inches above the water line! Lets just say it did not turn very well!
Bill M
C Guru

Post by Bill M »

I second the Dimension. It should be large enough for the weight and still give bouiancy and maneuverability.
Bill
djutzi
C Guru

Post by djutzi »

starburst is my preference for a full sized boat.

otherwise, I'm a pretty big dude and have paddled some in the Esquif Vertige X with passengers who weren't tiny. we weren't a combined 500 lbs...but still, it was completely fine.

also i'm not sure about it, but the Esquif 'Pocket Canyon' might be an option - basically its a shorter version of the Canyon, with the rest being quite similar. I haven't paddled one but assume it would have similar performance but more nimble.
Al Donaldson
Pain Boater

Dimension yes, Pocket Canyon, probably no

Post by Al Donaldson »

I've got both boats. The Pocket is a good high volume solo, but for big folks, as a tandem, it will give you some great views of the bottom of the stream (from REALLY close up!).

The Dimension, although horribly heavy, is a workhorse. with the tons of rocker, flared and upswept bow and stern, it will fo almost anything that the paddler can do. Long? Yes. Heavy? Yes. Turns well? Yes. Handles drops well Yes.

When my last Dimension wears out, I do not have any idea what I'll use to replace it (Possibly a Millbrook AC/DC?)

'Nuff said.

al
Al Donaldson
1920 Belle Avenue
Cedar Falls, IA
(319) 277-3194
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

I agree that there's no current equivalent to the venerable Dagger Dimension. In my mind, it's the only true tandem tripping canoe designed for Class IV paddling. The Esquif Canyon is a half foot longer, doesn't have as much rocker, and is too low midship. It would be great to see Esquif or some other canoe manufacturer fill this void with a tandem tripping canoe truly meant for serious whitewater like the Grand Canyon.
Kentuckycanoecycler
c

Dimension on Craigslist

Post by Kentuckycanoecycler »

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/boa/1681401242.html

Not mine. But looks pretty good actually.
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

XL 14 or XL 15
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

That's a lot of weight for a Caption, VertigeX or other 14er ww boats that do get wet at midships. Might need to go bigger.

No experience with the XL 15 or Pocket Canyon, but might be worth a look. Otherwise, as above Canyon/Starburst or Dimension.

Pat.