Pigeon River next month?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

dwinchester
Pain Boater

Pigeon River next month?

Post by dwinchester »

Does anyone out there paddle the Pigeon River in TN? A couple friends and I are talking about doing it next month but had a couple questions. First off is this a good river for novice (class III) whitewater boaters? American Whitewater describes it as a class III river. I've read elsewhere that some of the rapids are technical class IVs.

Like I said, we're comfortable in class IIIs but I don't want to get in over our heads on a new river.

Is anyone planning on being on the river the weekend of April 16-18? Mind a couple of tag-alongs?
zen_ben
C Boater

Post by zen_ben »

I've been on it and the AW description is fair. There's nothing that should surprise you and the bigger stuff can be bank scouted. I can't commit at this point but it will also depend on the release and currently there's none scheduled for that weekend.

One other consideration, the rock slide on I-40 in NC means that you have a detour if you're coming from the east on 40.
dwinchester
Pain Boater

Post by dwinchester »

Thanks for the heads-up
Georgia Stu
C Boater

Post by Georgia Stu »

Cheajack and I will boating somewhere in East TN that weekend, but likewise can't commit to the Pigeon at this point until we see what's flowing naturally. We'll keep in touch here!

Stu
jottsee
Pain Boater

yellow boat

Post by jottsee »

You going to get in that crazy yellow boat stu?
Georgia Stu
C Boater

Post by Georgia Stu »

The water's warming up - time for a good swim (or several)! Actually I'm picking up the yellow boat on this trip so sadly it won't be outfitted in time for immediate carnage. :oops:
mattbcha
C Boater

hey stu

Post by mattbcha »

keep me posted. this is matt hagan from louisville. paddled with you at alf. picking up a maxim on friday, looking to boat sat/sun. looks like the pigeon or ocoee will be the destination as no rain is forecasted.

matt hagan 502-552-4573