Big Dog Force OC1 - Day 2

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

bob mckee
C Boater

Big Dog Force OC1 - Day 2

Post by bob mckee »

Well the weather over here in the UK isn't improving much which has limited chances to get out boating over the past month or so. I did manage to get out in the Force OC1 on Sunday though for some cold low flow paddling.

I've updated my blog http://bobscanoestuff.blogspot.com/ with some more pictures.

I found the boat to be fast, nimble, and it seems to handle really nicely in turbulent water. It boofs nicely too. I'm really really enjoying the boat, and like I said barring a few tweaks here and there it shouldn't be too long into production.

I think the next days out will be in the South East States next week so hopefully I'll bump into some of you guys over there and you will be able to have a go in the prototype / demo that's being shipped out there now.

Cheers for now

Bob
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Look forward to you and the boat coming to the Southeast

Post by Wendy »

So glad you are able to bring a demo
AJ
CBoats Addict

Post by AJ »

Can you bring that demo out West too?
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

I paddled the prize boat that big dog gave away to the c1 winner of this years Rodeo.

Even with no straps, this boat is amazing, took a moment to get used to it being quite easily turned, but it quickly felt just right.

The boat handled really well with water in it (up to about saddle depth), but was very slow to accelerate once totally full.

Bottom line is I'd happily trade my Prelude for one of these boats tomorrow.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
AJ
CBoats Addict

Post by AJ »

Looking forward to ALF paddler reviews of this boat.
AJ
CBoats Addict

Post by AJ »

Bumping this up for any updates or reviews from ALF participants.
Bill M
C Guru

Big Dog OC1

Post by Bill M »

Was it there on Sunday? Is it there now?
Thanks
Bill
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Never saw it Sat or Sun

Post by Wendy »

Where is that dog?
golder
CBoats Addict

wilson, apparently

Post by golder »

ain't nothin but water, rocks, and gravity
bob mckee
C Boater

Post by bob mckee »

Hey Guys

Sorry I've been not been keeping you all updated but I've been having a great time paddling on these South Eastern creeks.

Anyway just to let you know a demo Force OC1 will be heading over to the Tellico tomorrow. So look out for it, and have a go!!!!!

The outfitting isn't fantastic and isn't production spec but at least you can paddle the boat.

If any of you are on the Green Narrows tomorrow I'll see you there......I'll be the one in the blue Force OC1 looking very very scared!!!

Cheers

Bob
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

I'll have one of these up in scotland for a week, Will post photo's and a fuller review (assuming some are taken) upon my return.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

sorry to be a dick, but i am what i am :) .
Talk about conversions! ...looks to me like this is literally a kayak hull with an opened up deck.
if you take a saw and heat gun to any burn or similar hull...you could have your own in a few hours. Not as pretty though.
Larry
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Larry, based on the specs on Bob`s blog as well as on the ones posted for the kayak on the Big Dog website, there`s more to the Force OC than just opening it up.

On that note though, why not offer a C1 version of it?? I know, the kayaks are available as conversions, but they are still just that, converted kayaks and not C1's proper that have been designed with the kneeling padding position in mind.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

Larry Horne wrote:sorry to be a dick, but i am what i am :) .
Talk about conversions! ...looks to me like this is literally a kayak hull with an opened up deck.
if you take a saw and heat gun to any burn or similar hull...you could have your own in a few hours. Not as pretty though.
Yeah. like squeakyknee did:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dweasel/se ... 744335581/

Some people just like to take their bath. :o

To me this new big dog looks so much like the taureau, just the design is a bit different and it's great to have more new open boats on the market for sure...But I'm with you larry: gimme a skirt.

But then an open tub with big high bulkhead saddle does seems more comfy and easier to wet exit to some folks I guess.
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

marclamenace wrote:To me this new big dog looks so much like the taureau, just the design is a bit different and it's great to have more new open boats on the market for sure...But I'm with you larry: gimme a skirt.

But then an open tub with big high bulkhead saddle does seems more comfy and easier to wet exit to some folks I guess.
I don't think it's fair to pass any kind of judgement regarding a boat until you actually paddle it... and I was really looking forward to giving this one a whirl... still do at some point.

That being said... I would have wanted to make the top of the boat skirt-able for folks who prefer to do so. I still like the full volume O/C1 "concept"
http://www.cboats.net/cforum/viewtopic.php?t=5494
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter