camping for ALF

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

cmnypny
CBoats Addict

Re: Melton Hill Dam campsite

Post by cmnypny »

keez wrote:Just spoke with the TVA. They're not opening the Melton Hill Dam campgrounds until March 19.
Good news for those attending the second half of ALF.
12 more sleeps till Tenn!
Yep this is the email I got from them:

Thank you for your inquiry. The opening date for the 2010 season is March 19. Further information will be posted and updated on the TVA website.

http://www.tva.gov/river/recreation/camping.htm

Phyllis Wissel
TVA Environmental Information Center
800-882-5263

Whats your plan B
Oci-One Kanubi
C Guru

Post by Oci-One Kanubi »

Louie wrote:Geoff don't start gettin all organized, why do you have to have everything planned out. Kick back when you get here it will all become clear. Relax kick back don't get worry about what will happen or what has happened, spend all your attention only on what is happen at the moment.

I love ya, Louie, but that's nonsense. Year before last, Chris Kelly and I camped at Sweetwater, didn't see anyone, didn't know what was going on, and wound up mostly boatin' alone 'til we went home.

Year before that, when you had the banquet hall, was frickin' great, but since then, for me, it's been a long drive with no assurance that I'll even boat, unless I arrange ahead of time to meet someone there.

A little organization goes a long way toward making it into a rendezvous, instead of just a random hope of finding someone to boat with.

This "in the moment" large steaming pile of dog doo is great if the moment is great, but it ain't so great if yer sitting by yerself in some remote campground wondering what to do next.
-Richard, His Kanubic Travesty
--
Nothing really matters except Boats, Sex, and Rock'n'Roll
greybear
C Guru

Post by greybear »

Richard, I am planning on attending the first weekend, I'll camp and boat with you. I am going to try an sleep in my truck, the alochol and wifi are not big issues with me. I going to boat.
Greybear
Oci-One Kanubi
C Guru

Post by Oci-One Kanubi »

greybear wrote:Richard, I am planning on attending the first weekend, I'll camp and boat with you. I am going to try an sleep in my truck, the alochol and wifi are not big issues with me. I going to boat.
Greybear

'Sbin a while, Kevin! It will be great to see you. Let's go to the Sweetwater KOA the first weekend, and then if it turns out that there is a recurring morning meeting in Lenoir City, maybe moving to someplace closer.

I could have sworn the Sweetwater KOA was Exit 62 from I-75, and then just 1/2-mile or so west on TN-322 to Pond Creek Rd., but Mapquest shows it at Exit 60 and west on TN-68 to Pond Creek Rd.

Just let's not plan on running anything as hard this trip as the Upper Cherry in flood, OK? I'm kinda easing off in my old age, and that day almost scared the life out of Cat, who is a better boater than you and me put together!
-Richard, His Kanubic Travesty
--
Nothing really matters except Boats, Sex, and Rock'n'Roll
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

I've got to agree- If it's "too organized" to get a campground picked out, it would at least be nice to get a meeting spot picked out- that would assist in picking the campground(s). I'd rather know I'm going to camp with other paddlers though.
Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
http://www.blackflycanoes.com
Gary B
Pain Boater

Post by Gary B »

The gamin GPS will try and take you that way also got lost 1st time I went there. Google maps shows exit 62 off I 75 to 322 to Murray Chapel Rd.
old
Pain Boater

Post by old »

If you are not posting where you are camping or where you are meeting each morning, how about a big fire for smoke signals or a cannon? "Look for smoke or ride to the sound of the cannon!" :o
greybear
C Guru

Post by greybear »

I agree Richard Upper Cherry at flood, man what a day. I will be in the mood for some class II-III stuff. I haven't been able to boat as much as I used to. Currently I can't even get to my boats so I am using a friends Viper 12 for the winter. My boats are snowed in to my shed. Sweetwater sounds good to me.
Greybear
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

I lucked out meetin g a bunch of people last year at my first ALF but the mudpool highwayadjacent facilities of the roaring eagle left me looking elsewhere.
I love a good plan as well as a home-base to start from, but hate it more when those plans go astray. So I promised Gumpy to be more loose and go where the people and the water are/is.

Plan on ending up near the Tellico Sat evening shooting for babyfalls camping unless we smell wind of openboaters gathering nearby/along the way. Gonna keep the camping mobile so as to be where the people/water maybe a few days here following the water/people and hopefully demo boats and be in a movie.

Maybe visit chris if his campground opens in time.
Someone mentioned a possible hall banquet dinner thing any word on that so Iknow what town to be near?

and last year I think people just went to where they saw someone post theyd be. So you'll prob have company in sweetwater
Proud Yankee
Louie

Post by Louie »

Richard my phone didn't stop ringin last year but I never heard from you or Chris. Be at the Shoney parkin lot Saturday morning or whereever in Lenoir City you see the most boats. We had trip leavin for all classes of water every day if you and Chris boated alone you two must have wanted some quality time just the two of you. I don't tell any where where to boat just where I am goin and what is runnin. Soaring Eagle, Crosseye cricket and Melton Hill the last weekend are the campgrounds that are close Sweetwater KOA is 19 miles away but still close enought to catch any Obed or Emory trip, same with the Smokies runs. You have a 20 minute head start on us for Waldens Ridge or the Tellico area.. I will boat for nine days with the Canadians and anyone who want to go with us. My phone number is 803 319 1719 if you can't find anyone to boat with give us a call. All I know is over 100 other single sticker found someone to boat with. Collins has a spread sheet with a bunch of names on it of people who are comin. This is you all's festivals make of it what you will and have it just like you want it, for over 15 the Canaidan have been comin down and boatin. March 14th on Tellico you should be able to hook up with as many people as you want and find out where they are campin. I am sorry this is not the Gauley fest where we pack you in one little fair ground and charge you ten dollar to shop for that s.ason gear someone could not sale. however if you want to boat different river each day (hopefully ) with a bunch of locals who know the run we got the event for you. We will have one big dinner at Calhound in Lenoir City. The LVM group will be goin to different places for different classes of trips. We have two Itilian two Japaness two Chinesee two barbaque joints, some home coolin place 5o fast foods places and about 20 Mexican joint( 19 are those TexMex places and one is the real thing ( see me for details ) we even have a fufu coffee place.
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

Sounds like Sweetwater Campground is not too far (20 min+/-) from Lenoir City? That is not too far for me. How many folks plan to be there? It is looking like I'll be able to make it this year. I'd rather hang with a bunch of you folks than land who knows where. What rivers are reasonable striking distance from there (I know Tellico is) vs other camping options?
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

it would be cool if there was one campground that was agreed upon. louie says that's too organized, but he has a bed and a hot meal to go home to every night. i think i'll end up at sweetwater sooner or later, maybe even most of the week, but i have a problem with commitment. really looking forward to boating with you folks again
Joe
Louie

Post by Louie »

GRUMPY YOU ARE HALF RIGHT i have a bed to go home too each night but I have to take the family out to eat each night for nine days. The price I pay to get to boat my whole vacation. I never said a thing about you all couldn't pick a camp ground I listed all I knew and told you OC1 would be campin and knew about the campin. Just don't lock yourselfs into one location we never know where the rain is goin to be. I think you all should camp in Dick front yard.
oc1paddlr
CBoats Addict

Post by oc1paddlr »

i agree with what gumpy said about a main campground to be based out of. maybe we can figure out a paddle plan w/o having to drive half hour the wrong way just to discuss where to go.
mr. deadlegs is in spain, and he left it up to me to figure out where we will camp (starting first w/e). hope we can pin down a destination as time gets close. steve, kevin, richard,et al, see you there! chris k where will you be
oh yeah, i need to pick up a couple of tee shirts, so i need to work that out too
paddlr
red boat ready
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

oc1paddlr wrote:i agree with what gumpy said about a main campground to be based out of. maybe we can figure out a paddle plan w/o having to drive half hour the wrong way just to discuss where to go.
mr. deadlegs is in spain, and he left it up to me to figure out where we will camp (starting first w/e). hope we can pin down a destination as time gets close. steve, kevin, richard,et al, see you there! chris k where will you be
oh yeah, i need to pick up a couple of tee shirts, so i need to work that out too
Agreed - PM'd you.