Paddling Alone?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Marc Evans
C Guru

Paddling Alone?

Post by Marc Evans »

Given that Cboaters are about as common as Jackalope in my area and the kayakers are fair weather boaters I was wondering how many of the Cboat community boat solo? If you do, what type of water are you willing to regularly paddle alone - class I, class II, etc.?

Marc
Louie

Post by Louie »

We all do Tellico alone quite a bit, I don't think I would do anything much harder than Treemont. I did do Russel Fork alone one time, I just didn't start alone.
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Back in ontario I paddled alone on a regular basis. Once it got cold it was hard to get people out to paddle.
There were only two spots where I did that, as there was no need for a shuttle, and that was the Gull in Minden and when it was in, parkhill in Cambridge.
I was aware of the risks that were involved.
Now, that I am out in BC I have not yet dona any solo runs, simply because I do not know any suitable spot yet. And then there was school and skiing.
but If I ever find a good squirt spot near Kamloops I'll be out there.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
coloradopaddler
C Guru

solo paddling

Post by coloradopaddler »

I paddle our class 3 town run by myself all the time. not just for lack of other c boaters but clashing schedules. most of my paddling partners are kayakers but they have real jobs and i like to paddle.
Dale Barton
C Boater

Paddling alone

Post by Dale Barton »

Have done that on local creeks, but not my favorite. 1st time down Gaulley at full release, was paddling with a bunch of guys(k1) that I didn't know. We got to Panther Creek, I start to get out, when one of the K1 guys say we are going to Swiss. I ddin't see any of them after that, so ran the middle and lower Gaulley basically by myself, without having ever seen that part of the river before(I had run Upper at below release several times) Dale
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

I do class 2+ with a bit of class 3 alone. I've been doing it for 35 years and have not a serious incident. My worst swims have been on harder rivers in the midst of crowds.

It appears to me that paddling whitewater solo is not as dangerous as its detractors say it should be. I base that statement on the whitewater deaths that have occured in the SE and elsewhere over the years.

The main strategy I use for safety when soloing unfamiliar runs is to research each run as best I can regarding gradient, features, etc., and to see that what I am likely to encounter is well within my proven ability level. And, there are cases where I have portaged class 3 rapids on unfamiliar runs because I saw possible trouble and lacked the coverage of other boaters.
insolence
CBoats Addict

Post by insolence »

paddling alone always has its risks - I would not do anything harder than a class 1 or technical 2 alone.

The only solo run I have done in my life was on quiet water on the Elbe river in Germany where there is very little freight ship traffic
it's gettin hot
I MAKE THE WATER BURN
purple orange flames
blaze where I put my paddle
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

I regularly solo the 3/4 that the rafting operation I'm a trainee at is based; I know literally every little feature, and apart from the depths of winter, there are always people about; so it's not like soloing an unseen run.

There are a couple more rivers where i'm happy to solo, one is a fast splashy grade 2+ and the other is a full on 4+ within walking distance of my house (hike 4 miles to the put in; paddle down to the sea, get out in the harbour, cross the road and through my front door) where one boulder rapid extends for the best part of 2 miles; swimming would hurt, but I know I could get myself out at the two or three big eddies on it in anything other than epic flood level It's the tree'd up runout that worries me.

The thing that makes me happy to solo these is how well I know the river, and what i can do if it all goes pete tong.

I soloed a handful of sections in the alps, and whilst they were all easy enough (Sunshine Run, Onde, Upper Guisane, Briancon Gorge, Upper Guil) I was scared shitless, even though I knew where the Weirs, Hydro Barrages and Get Outs were; I never felt certain.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
Louie

Post by Louie »

What is your depth of winter? How long does it last? If they call for a high of 35 or more in Knoxville we don't consider it too cold even though it is goin to be at least 5 or more degrees colder in the mountains..
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Louie wrote:What is your depth of winter? How long does it last? If they call for a high of 35 or more in Knoxville we don't consider it too cold even though it is goin to be at least 5 or more degrees colder in the mountains..
Air temps of between 5 and -10 water temp of ~3 lasts anywhere from 1-4 months. Still loads of diehards and crazy tourists out boating, just cuts back on numpties and all the gear no idea types.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

I love to boat alone, I have ran hard stuff alone and loved it i think now the cut of would be class 4 or easy class 5. Even when your with a big group your still alone to a certain degree
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Yes an yes

There's being alone as in not with a group, which is easily done on popular rivers. And then there's 'no-one-else' on the river alone. This requires a bit more fortitude and I step it down a notch. And might walk a drop or two, just because of the what-if factor. There's also a couple class II-III runs near the house, that I'll routinely paddle upstream for a few miles and then charge back down for a workout. This is gotten to be just like going out for a run alone or a bike ride. Something that just takes a short while, and not the days main activity.

And yes, this is a bit risky - but there are real rewards in the solitude and near hunting like experience of spying normally scared-off wildlife. It's also a great way to work on your forward stroke, both in efficiency and developing a quiet mode.
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

Yeah, what Phil said
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

I paddle like Phil except I probably paddle alone even more: ~95% of the time. It's hard to find people willing to paddle upstream. I just adjust my risk exposure when the water is high or the weather is cold, although sometimes my most likely time to roll is when the water is low and I catch my offside stroke on a shallow rock. :cry:
Bob P
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

agree with Phil
soloing a river can tale you where ou stand.Its not smart and prob. not safe but it sure i funn
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker