Is it canoer or canoeist?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

CosmikDebris
CBoats Addict

Is it canoer or canoeist?

Post by CosmikDebris »

canoeartist, can'er, etc...

just wondering...
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

From many years of exhaustive academic research, (I once used a dictionary,) I can report that "canoeist" is the correct term.

From many years of single-sticking, I can report that no one gives a rat's ash what you CALL it, as long as you DO it -- often, and regularly!
C'est l'aviron. . . !
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I dunno, but when I swim I'm a "can't".
OC1er
CBoats Addict

Post by OC1er »

We're the -ists, they're the -ers. Like art-ist vs paint-er
Its not about the approach. Its about control in the hole.
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

So what are you saying Scott? It's swimmer and canoeist. Except in my case (and maybe Louie's) where it is swimoeist!
blutopaddle
C Boater

Third entry: Canoemen

Post by blutopaddle »

Among his many works that involve river running, John McPhee wrote a neat essay called "Reading the River" which was published in The New Yorker in 1970, and was also included in a collection of his essays called "Pieces of the Frame" published in 1975. It was about the now long-defunct Petersburg Whitewater Weekend which were races held on the upper reaches of the Potomac in West Virginia in the 1960's and 1970's. In my humble opinion, that essay really captured the essence and appeal of whitewater canoeing.

In the essay, McPhee discusses how unusal it is for him to hear the participants call themselves "canoeists". Apparently, he was raised hearing that skilled boaters should always be referred to as "canoemen" and never "canoeists."

While I do not have a copy handy, my vague memory is that the classic passage went something like this (only much better written, of course): "They drop into eddies, stopping in mid-stream, then shoot out the other side with the grace and skill of a trout. They weave, bob and surf at will. They may call themselves, canoeists, but they are fantastic!"

Without question, the single sex nature of the "canoemen" title is not appropriate, but I did enjoy the elegance that McPhee's description conjured. Just wish I actually qualified for the title!!
CosmikDebris
CBoats Addict

Post by CosmikDebris »

I had no idea McPhee wrote on canoeing. The collection Annals of the Former World is all of my all time favorite books in one. A highly recommended read if you enjoy geology and storytelling.
dgmonster
Pain Boater

Post by dgmonster »

I don't care what I am called canoeist, canoer, or dumba$$, just as long as it is not a kayaker.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

8) Canoer, canoeist. Manure-er, manure-ist.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Canoeist, or according to strict grammar, Canoist which just looks wrong.

C-Boater has a good ring to it though, especially as I rarely manage to get out in a trad canoe these days.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
Crunchy
C Boater

Canoeist

Post by Crunchy »

Harrison is one of those word-people and he says canoeist.
He also tosses a phat throw-rope, so I have to go with his usage.
SkeeterGuy86
Select Paddles Sponsored Paddler

Post by SkeeterGuy86 »

Worker, Laborer, Kayaker

Artist, Canoeist

to quote a friend :)
SG86

here in the south east god paddles on the left and that's how he made our rivers ~ oc1paddlr

http://select-kayaks.com/en/paddles/canoe-raft/c1/
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

According to http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/canoe

2 entries found.

1. 1canoe (noun)
2. 2canoe (verb)

Main Entry: 2canoe
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): ca·noed; ca·noe·ing
Date: 1794

transitive verb : to transport in a canoe; also : to travel by canoe down (a river)intransitive verb : to go or travel in a canoe

— ca·noe·able \-ə-bəl\ adjective

— ca·noe·ist \-ist\ noun

— ca·no·er \-ər\ noun

So I believe we can safely say, that it's quite possible for two canoemen in one canoe, to be a canoer and a canoeist at the same time.
SkeeterGuy86 wrote:Worker, Laborer, Kayaker

Artist, Canoeist

to quote a friend :)
And as this is an international web site.... we all know that boaters the whole wide world over, would rather be called canoiest.... than to call themselves a kayaker. And only in the land of the French Fry, do they designate themselves with such a lowly term.
Louie

Post by Louie »

HEAR HEAR
Brendan
C Guru

Post by Brendan »

John McPhee- SURVIVAL OF THE BARK CANOE- great book and many outstanding examples of these boats reside in the Mariners Museum here in the Commonwealth of VA
Brendan