Good winter wet suit?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

dwd58
Pain Boater

Good winter wet suit?

Post by dwd58 »

What are some good name brands for a winter wetsuit---not for me but for my wife?
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

hmm. does anybody even wear wetsuits anymore? If it's for your wife, and if you want her to boat in the winter...you should get her a drysuit and nice new fuzzies. If you don't really want her to boat then a wetsuit is the way to go. :wink:
Larry
JayDavis
Pain Boater

Post by JayDavis »

Some of us big boys can't fit in a dry suit. Some of us can't afford one after we pay for a boat, either.

NRS has a nice selection of wetsuits.
Crash
C Boater

Post by Crash »

Save your pennys dry suit is the only way to go.
C-Ya+Ride Safe
Crash
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

i bought my drysuit used for 350, have seen others go for cheaper. drysuits are definitely the way to go
Joe
Louie

Post by Louie »

I like to wear a wet suit.....under my drysuit.
philcanoe
C Maven

theres a place for one....

Post by philcanoe »

Take a look at one of the NRS titanium wetsuits, I got a ultra-john last year and am well pleased. You didn't mention where you were from and what you/she paddles (canoe-c1), but there's lots of days around here that a wetsuit works great. For men look for one with a double zip, one that zips from both ends. That way for us guys you don't have to even to unzip you're PFD, to take a whizz.

And before jumping to the keyboard...

I've almost worn out my fifth drysuit, and yes I wouldn't be caught dead without one. Three of them, those breathable cost as much as a boat suits. However a wetsuit certainly works, and also having one will greatly decrease the wear n'tear on a drysuit. For starters there's days where it's just not too cold, and almost anything worn in a drysuit is too much. There's also the matter of briers, thistle, and thorns.... one such trip can practically ruin a drysuit. For that reason on any exploratory-type run, I'll most always go without a drysuit. And on cool-chilly-just-average cold days it's simply more comfortable, not having to put up with a neck gasket. On days when you're mentally debating the drysuit, it's nice to have the wetsuit option. Plus kneeling in an open canoe, a farmer john is all thats needed some days (without a paddling jacket). Yes, I'm from the S.East... but I boat all over and our local paddling season is from November/December to April/May. I find a wetsuit particularly nice, on those western runs where the waters cold and the days warm. ((Of course - swimming all day wouldn't be recommended))

If half the days I'm comfortable in a paddling top and 100 dollar wetsuit, then I've doubled the life of my drysuit.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I added a pair of neoprene pants to the wardrobe after a cold day on the Tellico a couple of years ago - the dry top + paddling pants just didn't cut it. I like not worrying about gaskets or tearing the fabric. But... I do most of my paddling south of there. I would quickly consider adding a dry suit if I was paddling north of Asheville/Knoxville through the winter.
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

Ah ah ah :lol:

Winter wet suits lols and lols

You guys have no idea what winter is, really.

Still october up here and we already had some snow last week. Trading my paddles for ski poles pretty soon. :cry:
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

marclamenace wrote:You guys have no idea what winter is, really.. :cry:
Sure...

... it's paddling season. 8)
Louie

Post by Louie »

Yes we do, that is the time of year when we stop to get beer for the river we don't buy ice to go with it.
phreon
CBoats Addict

Post by phreon »

Unable to find a wetsuit that correctly fits my lanky frame, I had one custom made by Aquaflite. Top notch quality, very reasonable prices.

Phreon
ohioboater
CBoats Addict

talk to board surfers

Post by ohioboater »

For the most part, I really like NRS products, but their wetsuits are rudimentary and not very comfortable. Hard core board surfers wear wetsuits year round, including in 35 to 40 degree winter water, and I never hear of them complaining about their suits being uncomfortable or cold. Of course, they swim even more than Louie does, so evaporative cooling isn't an issue.

Still, the few modern surf suits I've seen are way better made and much more flexible than the neoprene strait jackets that pass for paddling wetsuits...
Louie

Post by Louie »

Not on one of my good days they don't.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

:D Louie, "wetsuit" doesn't mean your Depends !