looking for ideas for quick temporary C1 outfitting

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

looking for ideas for quick temporary C1 outfitting

Post by the great gonzo »

i am potentially looking to go on a university paddling expedition next spring, (location is still in the planning stage, but it will ba far away and remote). Bringing one of my own boats ios most likely extremely cost prohibitive and finding a suitable OC1 or C1 locally will most likely be impossible. kayaks will be available locally
(no clue what brands and models).

So I have two options:
1) come up with an outfitting system that is easily adaptable to a multitude of boats, is small enough to fit regular luggage and that can be installed in a short period of time (less than a day) 8) 8) 8) . Oh, yes, after the trip, the boat will most likely have to be converted back into a K1, so non-reversible changes to the hull or outfitting are a no go.
2) paddle a kayak :roll: :roll: :roll: !!!

Obviously option one is by far my favorite.
Has anyone done this and can give me some ideas/ pointers??

Thanks!

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Where are you heading, I know that the British Universites Kayaking Expedition have taken boats (Inc C1's) to Kyrgystan, Russia, Mongolia, China, Laos & Vietnam in recent years for little or nothing more than their airfare. (I've taken my boat to France, Italy and Uganda this year myself, pretty much hassle free if you let the airline know well in advance.)

I'd look into the cost of taking your own boat in much more detail before considering jury rigging a c1 out of a rented kayak for a week or too.

Otherwise, pre making your own foam outfitting to fit a boat you know will be availale to you out there, taking it in pieces, and gluing it on site is probably your best bet; use good glue.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Find out boat (design) and map out the hardware.
Then go team etc.
Prefab or take limited disposable tools. Plastic can be rolled with minicell. Some duct tape, fasters, a couple cuts and glueing (tape can replace that) and your in business.
Remember to get the right skirt too.
Keep us posted - I might have everything needed sitting in the shed. ;-)
Hope it works out!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Not sure yet where we're going, Nepal is the front runner, with central Asia as option.
I agree that bringing my own boat would be preferable, however people got apparently burned doing that in the past with the airlines suddenly charging amounts that exceeded the value of the boats for the return leg, so boats had to be left behind.
And I am not prepared to abandon my Finkenmeister. They are hard enough to come by as it is.
The problem is too that the options as far as choosing a boat friendly airline when flying out of Western Canada are very limited.
PAC, good idea as far as the Team ETC outfitting is concerned, definitely an option if I know what boat is available and if I can find the same one to use as a pattern here to make the outfitting.
Another option would be to get a chaep boatr here that, in the worst case scenario, wouldn't mind selling really cheaply abroad.

Or, here is a great idea, Smerda, could you get a demo L'Edge sent to Kathmandu :lol: ???

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

I don't know which airline, but this summer a friend flew back to Germany from Vancouver with an Esquif Spark for an extra charge of $20! So definitely check with the airlines as the first option, maybe you'll get lucky.

Pat.
adamin
CBoats.net Staff

Post by adamin »

Fence rail conversion if you can't find the options above...
driftwood
C Guru

my system

Post by driftwood »

I have had luck with a system that only requires three large pieces of foam and a set of straps and can be done with no glue (which you would probably not be allowed to fly with).

I have only used the system with my Burn but it is great. I would suggest you find out what boats are available where you are going and then test it on one where you are to make sure it will work.

Materials
Three large pieces of foam (one for a seat, two for the bulkhead)
Glue or a short cam strap
two quick release straps
some p-cord
duct tape
some thin foam

First: get ride of the kayak seat and thigh braces. (duh)

The seat: use a knife to cut the bottom of the foam you are using for your saddle to match the ridges in the piece of plastic that runs along the bottom of the boat (this is the piece that normally is what the kayak seat sets on). Then either glue it to the piece or use a short cam strap to hold it to it. I use glue, can't swear by the cam strap method.

Straps: Use the attachment points from the seat to secure the top of each strap. This can be done best if you double the straps over. For the bottom drill two small holes on each side of the same piece of plastic that the seat is mounted to. Use the holes to tie loops of p-cord to run your straps through. The holes are the only permanent modification of the boat you will make I drilled them with my river knife so no special tools required.

Bulkhead: It is best if one piece of foam is larger (thicker) than the other. Shape the thick piece to fit over your legs, and to match the same plastic frame I have mentioned. This piece should be as wide as the inside of the hull but not as tall. The second piece is then cut so that it can be jammed on top of the first piece so that it fills the rest of the space under the place where the thigh straps were attached. This should be hard to squeez in.

Knee pads and hip pads: duct tape+ foam, figure it out

My paddling friends think I am nuts for not gluing in my bulkhead but it is solid on the creeks I have run.

John

( I will see if I have any pics)
Will dance for rain
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

In my last ReMix I simply zip tied a dagger saddle to the center rail. wouldn't work with all boats, though. remix has a lighter rail than say a jefe. worked great though. outfitting outlasted the hull! if you are interested, i might be able to find the pics i email marclamance (SP?) or he might have them still. other than zip ties and a dagger saddle, all i needed was foam to adjust the trim and for my knees against the hull. i just had thigh straps, although eventually added a bulkhead for tighter fit in the knees.
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Considering the luggage/travel requirement, bringing foam for a bulkhead might be too much - you might need to forego the bulkhead, and go with a rail & straps-only.

Hmm, this is reminding me that I've got a hull in the yard that I haven't finished converting yet. :(

Pat.
Eli
The Canoe Guru - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by Eli »

So, it was definitely one of the sketchier rigs I've paddled, but I found myself at the Snowy River in Australia 7 hours South of my boat. I borrowed a wavesport triple-x and rigged a camstrap deathbelt around my waist and to the plastic kayak rail piece that held the seat.

My knees fit pretty well inside the thighbraces. My ankles were extremely uncomfortable resting on the plastic of the kayak seat. I think I tried to use a shirt under my shins...but without duct-tape, that was ineffective.

A similar rig on the Grand Canyon with minimal foam was much more tolerable when I felt the urge to surf with a skirt on.

Try some scrap foam in a friends kayak and see if you can make it work.

It's not ideal and with the deathbelt, wet exiting is extremely challenging...be careful!
When in Doubt...Paddle Forward!
www.thecanoeguru.com
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Since the plan is to run some big water class 4-5 stuff, I think I'll need something more secure and safe than a camstrap around the waist.

Not sure if a friction fit system is going to work, as the rivers will most likely be big water and not low volume creeks, so the forces will be considerable.

My favorites are so far to, if I know what boat I will have and if I find one to use as a pattern, to go the team ETC or the fence rail way.

TGG!
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Post by jscottl67 »

Just a thought (not that I've ever done it) but if you go with a fence rail type conversion, you could probably do a half rail with the open side down and lots of foam underneath to keep from messing up the hull.

Just thinking that you would have the structural benefit of the manufacturer's rail if it has one, and a fence rail would be wide enough to go over the top of that. If you can fit a strap or three under the factory rail, you could probably strap your rail down pretty snuggly. If you'r overstuffed with foam (preglued to your rail) on the inside, the full lengh of that section should be enough friction to keep it all snug and it wouldn't have to be the "perfect" length for whatever boat you end up in. A layer of neoprene might increase that friction.

Straps pre-attached to your rail and use whatever seat mounting bracket hardware lines up at your hips. Maybe velcro on the pedelstal or if it works out that the friction fit works well, you could possibly premount the seat, then just slide and tighten your rail at the balance point - strap to pedestal fit would stay the same.

This is all just theoretical - never converted a C1 and not that familiar with kayak rail mounting and if fitting a strap underneath is even doable. If that works, those pre-cut knee pads/ foot rest pads that already have the adhesive on them would be nice. Peel and stick and you wouldn't have to worry about carrying a bottle of contact cement. Should clean up easier as well.

Just 1.5¢ worth.
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Post by John Coraor »

the great gonzo wrote:PAC, good idea as far as the Team ETC outfitting is concerned, definitely an option if I know what boat is available and if I can find the same one to use as a pattern here to make the outfitting.

Another option would be to get a cheap boat here that, in the worst case scenario, I wouldn't mind selling really cheaply abroad.
If you are certain of knowing what is available and can find a matching boat as a pattern, then what PAC suggested is a good plan. However, given the investment in time and money that this trip is likely to entail, I would be hesitant about counting on such intel as "certain." Picture yourself standing in Nepal talking to your local contact: "Sorry, the Remix XL went out with last week's expedition and won't be back for another week. We do have a Jackson AllStar you can use."

If you have reasonable hope of being able to fly out with a boat without paying an exorbitant fee, then I would convert something in advance with the expectation that you'll ditch it if the tariff on the return flight is unbearable. If you can find a suitable used boat for not too much gelt, then you'll have the advantage of being able to choose a boat whose paddling characteristics you like and outfit it thoroughly at your leisure. You will probably pay more money overall, but, as they say in the American Express commercials, the peace of mind will be "priceless."

John