big breakthru

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Yukon
Yukan Canoe

big breakthru

Post by Yukon »

I am stoked got my first roll in a hole today and that is a huge breakthrough for me. I am having a hades of a time rolling my Taureau with a bulkhead and often other boats with straps. I think it is a result of paddling shallow rocky cold mountain rivers too long and wanting to get my head up.

what height to people have the saddles on the Taureau at? i am 6 ft and have not cut the height down too much, Have cut a lot of other foam though. One day I will get it right

As far as hole riding what would be better the Taureau or Aftershock I have both but not paddled the Aftershock much.

We ran the Tatshenshini last week with 5 open boats- probably a record # of open boats there and had a blast, What a nice run
Louie

Post by Louie »

Aftershock was made as a ridei biat Teaureaau is for Creeks. don't let Larry H know you were with 5 other boater he thinks that is too big of a group.
Louie

Post by Louie »

dam let me try that again, Aftershock was made as a rodeo boat and the Teaureau was made for creeks.
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

Louie, the EDIT function is made for that. You can modify stuff you previously sent. Look somewhere on your message box when you view it. :wink:
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Post by Yukon »

eh
me thought dat was just Tenessee slaaang, caught the gist of it
going to do some more carving in my Taureau today, cut the seat down and the back back a bit I had a blast last night. But is started crappy playing at the Whitehorse Intake- where the water is super squirelly, lots of weird eddy lines- was not enjoying the Taurea.then jumped in a friends Zephy and finally went up to Butt Hole and did a bunch of learning.
got where I could settle down and really relax and stay loose on the foam pile and felt awesome- Iam now stoked again
Our wave i mean hole is steep and fast
Berkshire Jack
Pain Boater

Congrats

Post by Berkshire Jack »

Yukon,
Congratulations on nailing the combat roll in the Taureau! It is no mean feat. I use to think that I was pretty skilled at rolling C1's and most open boats. I once went 2 yrs without missing a roll in my favorite boat and I had lots of opportunities to blow it in those 2 years. Then I bought a Taureau and it has proved to be my rolling nemesis. I get about 50% of them in the lake when starting from a dead stop underwater. On the river in combat situations, I actually get a lot more of them, somewhere around 75%. This is because I usually only get knocked over on my off side and I use that momentum in my rolling to bring me back up. But when I start rolling from a dead stop in the water, it takes all my energy and wits to get that Taureau back upright. I have even taken lessons from Andy Westwood, one of the designers on the boat, to tweak my rolling style for the boat. I know it is my style of rolling and technique that is lacking because Andy can roll the Taureau effortlessly - As easily as I roll my other C1's.

I like the boat a lot for creeks, but I was getting gun shy about bringing it on hard water, because of a few nasty swims. Unlike Louie, I am not a fan of hard knocks. I am not ready to give up on the boat, because it works so well in tight creeks and steep drops. In analysing my Taureau roll this past weekend, I came to the realization that in my failed rolls, my rear end was leaving the seat by a large amount. I am concluding that my rump's connection to the seat must play a large role in transfering rolling energy to the Taureau and getting it to retract underneath my body at the end of the roll. With my rump off the seat, I am just not able to swing the Taureau back underneath me. I am also coming to the conclusion, that the bulkhead which locks the knees and lower thighs on the Taureau just does not offer enough attachment to keep my rump down, so I am going to add a lap belt to the boat. If this works in improving my rolling success, I will let you know. If it doesn't, I will have to conclude that my rolling style and the Taureau just don't mesh.

I am not a big fan of lap belts and like thigh straps better because psychologically I have less fear of entrapment when using them, but belts do provide the ultimate in holding down ones arse - plus they are quicker and simpler to install and I have an extra one handy. If the lap belt works, I will probably go thru the effort of installing a set of agressive thigh straps, placed far up on the thighs and abandon the belt.

In answer to one of your other questions, I have lowered the seat in my Taureau to 7 inches off the bottom.

Hope I haven't muddled the situation for you.

Jack
C1-er
Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Post by Yukon »

Thanks Jack let me know
I was only one roll I got but it was in the hole. I have a long way to go. Was out tonight and did not get any, but did get some good rides and a great front surf that would have burried any other regular solo.
Please let me know how the lap belt works
I do have to get this roll down and I hear you about being gun shy takin the boat on harder water. Ill stick to my viper 11 for that
I did cut my seat down and back today and now to work on the roll. Too much shallow water with lots of rocks and wanting to get up to o quick
Louie

Post by Louie »

I am diffently backasswards, I cut the seat back a full two inches and then had to add 3/4" to the seat height.
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Yukon (Trevor?),

Kalin has a Tareau in Whitehorse doesn't he? I tried rolling his at the Jaws of Death (Gums of Worry) on the Takhini, and I didn't find it too different from my open boat (Outrage) or (C-1) - probably somewhere in between the slightly different styles I use for those boats.

Anyway, maybe you and Kalin could get the Tareaus out together at the in-take or wherever and mess around with rolls.

Pat.

p.s. We just had a Kalin sighting in southern BC. Got him out on a busy class III section of the Chilliwack with some friends - returning the favour of he, David and Virginia all getting me on rivers in the Yukon when I was passing through town last year.
Berkshire Jack
Pain Boater

Post by Berkshire Jack »

Yukon,
Installed a lap belt in the Taureau this weekend and tried it out for flatwater rolls. In summary, it isn't the cats meow solution I was hoping for, but it helps. At first, I nailed 3 rolls in a row and thought to myself the belt was the solution. But after that, it was back to the old struggle. Some worked and some didn't. Now my shoulder feels like I been boating straight for a week.

There is something in my rolling technique, that doesn't like the Taureau shape. I got to make some changes in my style.

The lap belt does add a level of anxiety when you are underwater, and you are not positive you can roll up. I would feel better with thigh straps. I am not sure at this point, the lap belt is worth the few extra rolls I am able to coax out of the situation. Will let you know if I come up with something.
Jack
C1-er