Hardware question

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Hardware question

Post by jscottl67 »

I'm finally getting around to a C1 conversion and need to fill some holes from the old yak outfitting. I was trying to find some of the screws with the fairly wide flanges (like the ones on the outfitting on my cascade - guessing stainless??) and, of course, the local Lowe's doesn't have anything really close to it.

Any ideas on where to get such screws? Specialty hardware place? Failing that, would aluminum rivets be an ok alternative if I put a rubber cap over the portion inside the hull?
Eric Nyre
C Guru

Post by Eric Nyre »

Ace Hardware usually has a good selection of wide pan head screws. McMaster Carr will also have it. http://www.mcmaster.com/

If you just want to fill the holes and don't need the screw or bolt, have a plastic welder seal them. They'll melt some plastic into the hole and it's good. You can try the same with a torch and thin sliced strips of an old cutting board.
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

When it's desirable to get a flush outside surface, I use nylon countersunk screws (also available from McMaster Carr).
Bob P
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Goop! My favorite ADHESIVE right after Red Can Weldwood. I have holes filled with nothing but Goop that have survived 5 years or so in my Rockit.
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

P-tex candles as used for repairing ski bases work well for this, too.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

I'm outfitting a Redline and have the same question.

Is it better to leave in the ss screws if you've got them, or better to use Goop as fill? Probably doesn't matter.

Anyone know why the Redline has these side screws right at water line in the middle of the bow end? Maybe they could attach to the aluminun foot-brace-thing that's in there, but they weren't doing anything.

Why don't the screws have any kind of an o-ring waterproof washer, they must leak?

PY.
cbcboat
CBoats Addict

Post by cbcboat »

Duct tape inside, duct tape outside-works great!, and you already own some (well you should)
B
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

I like Goop (or duct tape) for its ease of use, and to not have an unnecessary screw in a place that gets banged. But, leaving the screw is probably less prone to failure - with duct tape (and probably Goop), one day I'd probably find myself with a 1/4" hole in my boat.

I guess I'll leave the screws in. May add some rubber washers.

PY.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »