2009 NBP Armada info

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

We Canadians (PrincessLeah, ScottC, Sparkie, Nathan and myself) had, as always, a great time at the Armada! Thanks to everyone for accommodating us at their cabin (PAC) and at their campsite (old and In the way, Kneal, PAC and Big Al).
Visiting PS-composites and the C-quirting with Jim Snyder was, as always a great time. It was great to see some new faces at the C-quirt, too!
Some of us Canadians were a bit directionally challenged and, instead of stopping at the Pizza hut in Kingwood for dinner drove until, they were almost in Ohiopyle until they realized that the were probably lost :roll: . From there on until we headed back I drove sweep to avoid a repeat performance :lol: .
Some of us looked a bit rough on sunday morning, but everyone had a great time. There was, as always, a lot of boat swapping going on at the lunch spot hole, with a large crowd enjoying the, depending on skill levels, great performances or thrashings... :lol: ...
Fox pizza was invaded for dinner and after the award ceeremony for the C-quirt (Seth winning the mens category hands down and PrincessLeah winning the woman's award) everyone headed back to the camp for another eveing of sitting around the fire.

On Monday it was breakfast in Oalkland and a quick run of the Loop for us before we all headed home. Our second Canadian vehicle with Steve/Sparkie a.k.a. Mr. Daisy (those who have seen him drive know why... :lol: ...) and ScottC were lost again, but made it accoding to the last communications safely across the border and home as well.

Se you all next time 8) !

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
huge
C Boater

Armada....

Post by huge »

As usual, I had a great time.
With great pleasure, I pass along the mantel of Cquirt Champion of the Known Universe(s) to Seth. I'm just happy to be in the same category as him!
All of the awards in the world wouldn't be enough for PAC's dedication to herding this motley collection of boaters every year. (Even kayakers!!)

Here is Mike showing some fine moves in his Woodie.

And finally, I think a few canadians got lost in Summersville where I took this photo.

huge

Here are the rest of the photos that I took.
http://picasaweb.google.com/hugh.iodesi ... directlink
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Re: Armada....

Post by the great gonzo »

huge wrote:
And finally, I think a few canadians got lost in Summersville where I took this photo.

huge

Here are the rest of the photos that I took.
http://picasaweb.google.com/hugh.iodesi ... directlink
So Scott and Sparkie got lost again after all... :o :lol: :lol: ...they must have thought the Mason Dixon line was the border :lol: !!

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
kenneth
CBoats.net Staff

Post by kenneth »

It was great to c everyone at Foxes, at camp, and at breakfast on Monday. Too bad I didn't know Scott and his gang were skipping breakfast otherwise I would have said goodbye in the morning!
I might not have done any paddling but I certainly ended up soaked! It was certainly a pleasant motorcycle ride in terms of scenery but I ran in to my fair share of rain both directions!
Thanks to Jay (Not Elvis) for guiding us to the whitewater course at Wisp, and thanks to all those new faces that were able to attend the Armada this year! As always, thanks to all those old faces for showing up at the Armada too!!!
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

That was definitely another great armada weekend. The highlight for me was jumping in "Gonzo"'s slalom c-1, the Loco, for a run down the NBP. It was VERY responsive for me (in spite of having a hip differential from "Gonzo" :oops: ) and I had a blast carving eddy turns and surfing waves, then blasting downriver at near-mach 1 speed. :D The Cheat was a low-water run for "Big Al" and me, but we pretty much had the whole stretch of river to ourselves and it was really a great day. We each had one mishap--Al sent his open boat to scout an undercut, and I successfully had about a five-minute long splat against the huge boulder at the top of Teardrop (this is the latest version I'm using 8) ).

Looks like the vehicle story for this armada is going to be about the directionally-challenged. We have a tie in this category between Mike Watson (who started his weekend navigating dirt roads/ATV trails while following the directions on his GPS) and "Sparky" and Scott (why they headed to Ohiopyle, at least an hour away, instead of going to Pizza Hut, about 7 minutes away, is beyond me :-? ). Congratulations to these three! :D

This weekend had a family theme to it with several boaters bringing family members (some extended more than others :wink: ). One recognition needs to go to the youngest c-boater/pain boater and that is the 18-month old boy who cruised with the group down to Blue Hole, where mom and dad had him hang up his paddle and take a nap.

KNeal (the key was not the issue for me this time)
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

Post by Kelly-Rand »

Well I felt like a gate crasher this year. Getting the locals to meet a time schedule or miss a game of horse shoes is almost impossible. I did enjoy the short but wild ride in Jim G's Wide Ride in lunch hole. Hope I didn't cause too much apprehension with the swim afterward.

till next
Jim KR

"with single blade in hand
a C-1 I will stand"